GX 77 Slow Syndrome

Spooler

I have seen a lot of info about curtain Akai GX models suffering from slow FWD/REW as specially the GX 77.
But nobody is saying exactly what the problem is, or what is needed to be done to rectify this problem, i have replaced 2 resistors on the motor intermediate boards and 2 transistors on the control board to no availe. If the problem and the fix were out there in plain english it would save a lot of headaces.

I have read it is a thermal related problem with one of the transistors controlling the motor speed.

You might try to hit the transistors (one at a time) with some cooling spray and see if that temporarily
fixes the problem. Replacing the affected transistor(s) should fix your problem.

You can purchase cooling/freeze spray at most Radio Shack stores. Air in a can also works good if you invert the
can before spraying. It seems to comes out very cold.

Good luck.

Spooler,

The Akai GX77 is the machine I was using when I first Learned the hard way about sticky shed tape syndrome. I bought the service manual and had the thing half way taken apart looking for answers. I replaced all the belts to no avail. Then I happened upon information about sticky shed syndrome for the first time. Never experienced it before. The tape I was using was old Ampex 456. I switched to new tape and the problem was gone. The machine has been running like a new one ever since... well over a decade now. I hope your fix is that simple. I've never had any other issues with that machine since I bought it around 1987.

Gx 77

Yes i have had problems with sticky shed as well, that is not the problem with this machine. There is a guy on the net who is selling a so called fix kit for this problem with all related info, but you have to buy the kit to find out where and what the problem is. Surely there is somebody who can tell us in proper english what the cause is. Im sure there are a lot of us that can do the repair, but not so good at finding the fault. Cheers.

Back