Guys, HELP ME!

It's the crappy guitar, the crappy pickups, the crappy preamp, and the crappy DSP.

Get rid of tewb pres and low-end digital dsp and get some nice analog pedals. Like a Moog analog echo or maybe a Fulltone Tape Delay.

If you want something with a little bite, look at a JoeMeekVC6Q, or something pretty clean with a transformer maybe an MP1-NV.

Get that tuner out of the signal chain too.

Guitar> amp> mic. Get a good tone like that and build up from there.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

A metallica sound would approximate the sound I am looking for.

Garry, the reason I hate Combos is exactly that, they are combos.

what if you like the preamp but hate the poweramp, or hate the speakers, or the reverb. I prefer to separate the components and work from there. I also believe in KISS is why I dont have a single effects pedal. The only function the behringer serves in my rig is spring reverb

That said, I spent a lot of time last night and today tweaking my sound and today is one of those days when I can say I love it(it may only last one day) but the behringer played the biggest part in that.

My sound was hard and dead, not big, creamy and commanding like I want it , so I started re-reading ALL my manuals. Anyway, it turns out the behr has a 5 second phrase sampler. So what I did was play a real quick, heavy rifff, put it on loop, sit back, then adjust my preamp and poweramp to get a nice sound.

First noticeable thing was that the preamp has to be turned up past 1/8(where I had it) to sound good. At anything past the halfway point it starts to sound musical.

The poweramp also has to be turned up a little to sound good. Doing those two things improved my sound

Next, I raised the height of both my neck pickups. That brought the sound to life considerably and allowed me to use them for rhythm instead of the bridge pups.

Oh, I should mention that I ditched the no-name cable and replaced it with a high quality 5 foot cable. Short, yes, but it improved my clarity.

Now that I was getting a good sound of of the neck pickups, which are usually bassier, I was able to dial in the eq, where I think the foundation of tone lies.

I scooped all my mids (cliche I know) and raised my highs a little. I also turned down the gain from 70 (max) to 50.

Used a touch more reverb and VOILA. TONE NIRVANA.

I also happened to listen to a pickup comparo on the web at thegearpage and came to the conclusion that pickups dont make enough difference to justify the expense for right now.

The only problem I have now is: now that I am happy with my tone, what do I obsess about? MAybe learn some mad riffs.

Oh, btw, I only use one channel on my amp so it is actually a 22 watt tube amp. THat thing sings.

What to obsess about? LMAO! Can you play like SRV, Al DiMeola or Joe Pass? Obsess about your skill. I started at age 9 and I'm 43 now. I still can't play "Scuttle Buttin'" up to the recorded speed. While I can play "Dark Eye Tango" reasonably well, "Chasin' The Voodoo" blows my doors off. And I can't even come close to part of a single Joe Pass "Virtuoso" track. I know the theory inside and out but executing what those 3 dudes have done is another story. Pick the most difficult tunes from your three fav axe slingers and get practicing in tone nirvana.

Dave_M said:
What to obsess about? LMAO! Can you play like SRV, Al DiMeola or Joe Pass? Obsess about your skill. I started at age 9 and I'm 43 now. I still can't play "Scuttle Buttin'" up to the recorded speed. While I can play "Dark Eye Tango" reasonably well, "Chasin' The Voodoo" blows my doors off. And I can't even come close to part of a single Joe Pass "Virtuoso" track. I know the theory inside and out but executing what those 3 dudes have done is another story. Pick the most difficult tunes from your three fav axe slingers and get practicing in tone nirvana.

who are those guys? Never heard of em.

My three fave axe slingers all bang out the same three power chords so I'm good there :D

I have always got a great sound by going straight into the amp. A good guitar, a good tube amp (crank that suka), great technique, and a ear for what sounds good is all you need.
The most common problem i see, that makes a shitty tone is too much distortion (especially fake distortion). What seems right, in terms of distortion, while you are jamming, sometimes translates into a "gazoo" tome in a recording.

Tryu less distortion...the results may surprize you.

CyanJaguar said:
A metallica sound would approximate the sound I am looking for.

two words:
dual rectifier... trust me. metalica doesnt have all that shit in their signal chain.

there are some really great reverb units that would smoke your behri, and for not that much.

borntoplease said:
two words:
dual rectifier... trust me. metalica doesnt have all that shit in their signal chain.

there are some really great reverb units that would smoke your behri, and for not that much.

On the albums whose sounds I am looking for, they were either using an ADA MP-1 or a Mesa Triaxis. But I agree, the dual rect is a monster amp.

CyanJaguar said:
LOL. Ended up getting some Live wire
Isn't Live Wire just rebranded HOSA? Look on the cable, and see if it says HOSA on it in white letters.

HOSA is crap. As I read somewhere else on this board, "HOSA will Hose YOU!"

Back