Guitars For Keyboards

Sure you can use stomp boxs on a keyboard. The problem is that most stomp boxes only feature a mono input, whereas your keyboard is stereo. So you'd either have to convert your stereo to mono or put the effects on only one channel. If you wish to use effects like this, it would be best for you to run your signals into a mixing board, and use an effects send to feed the stomp boxes (I personally run my keyboards into a mixer, and send them out on an aux send into a lowpass crossover, which feeds a Digitech BP-8 bass preamp/processor, which feeds into seperate bass amplification, in addition to the main stereo outs that sends full-range signals to the main P.A., and my personal Monitors).

I would personally recommend you check into some of the available rackmount units as well. These will usually give you more keyboard friendly effects, and most feature MIDI IN, for external control (via MIDI footpedal, sequencer, etc.).

As far as multiple pedals versus one big multiFX floorboard, it boils down to personnal preference. Some people like the all-in-one approach. It saves on setup time (patch cables, seperate power supplies, etc.), but it often limits you're sound. Even though these units have many different stompbox emulations, they ultimately fall victim to sounding as the design engineers interpret them, and often lack the tonal character of the originals. But again, you'r saving thousands of dollars not having to purchase all the originals, and you can usually dial-up a sound that you will like. On that note my guitarist uses a VOX Tonelab SE, and it freakin' rocks. But seperate pedals is the way to go if you really want to design, your own unique sound (And no one says you can't mix stomp boxes AND MultiFX pedals).

rackmounts would be nice if I had a rack...and I don't have the kind of money to invest in thousands of dollars yet...just lower hundreds...

Thanks though, I appreciate the input

ix na on the peddles ay

get a lin6 vetta 2 combo its simply the best guitar amp ever , it has everything. and if you by chance find something it doesn't have you just down load it directly into the amp via midi, ethrenet or a whole assload of other stuff

Yeah Line 6 stuff is pretty decnt, but the rackmount Line 6 Pods would be better, due to a guitar amps very limited bandwidth. I.E. they won't replicate the heart thumping lows, and extreme highs that a keyboard is capable of producing. But a guitar amp in addition to a P.A. is very cool. For about a month or so last year I used a send (The same one I use for the BP-8 now), to feed a Peavey Transtube Supreme Half-stack (Peavey 412MS cab). I put an active volume pedal inline to control how much signal would be fed to the amp. Great way to add some Mind-Grinding Distortion to already cool sounds.

<<Why would anyone want four typical stompbox guitar pedals
when you can get Boss ME50 Guitar Multiple Effects Processor ...are stompboxes more customizable?>>

I look at stompboxes being like a painting and multi-fx being like a photograph of that painting. You might be pleased with either one hanging in your house but one is going to have more texture and, for lack of a better word, more vibe to it.

I use both stompboxes and multi-fx. I've got a Yamaha DGStomp that is great for laying down basic tracks but when I want to get insane and have that signature sound, the Yamaha won't come close to touching my ZVex Fuzz Factory or one of my MoogerFoogers.

Digital is getting close but it still isn't there as far as capturing all the nuances of a good analog pedal (note I will say that I think if you are going to go for digital pedals you may as well go for the modeler).

I will add this also. I play guitar and keys and my preferences tend to be more extreme with the guitar as far as fx. As a guitarist I seem to work harder at developing "my" tone than I do as a keys player. I think that is true across the board. SRV always sounds like SRV, the Edge always sounds like the Edge. Can you name a keyboardest that everytime you hear them you think . . . that's so and so.

Bottom line, plug your keys into some fx (digital or analog) and have fun.

Keith Emerson sounds like.........................Well Keith Emerson. I think keyboard players can create a signature sound. It depends on what type of player they are. There are quite a few who are just there for backing and support, and those who are lead players. I can Guarantee that if you played me solos that I had never heard by say, Keith Emerson, John Lords (Deep Purple), and Richard Tandy (ELO), but to name a few, I would be able to tell them apart.

Oh, I love the painting/photo analogy, that about nails it.

Back