Guitars and D/I's

Bloomington

How should a person record and electric guitar?

By running it through a rack effect e.g. an EQ and/or a compressor and then into either a Mackie 1604 and then to a Roland 880 recorder or directly into the 880 is there a need to use a D/I?

Same question for bass too?

What is the general use rules for D/I's?

Thanks !!!! :)

A direct box is used to convert a 1/4" instrument -level signal into a balanced XLR line-level signal, and vise versa. So you can plug straight into a mixer channel input.

You may be able to plug a bass guitar right into your 1604 mixer and go direct with decent results, it just depends on your bass.

A better solution to recording guitar and bass DI (direct input) is a specialized device like a Pod, J-station, Sansamp, Yamaha DG Stomp. They simulate the sound of real amplifiers using modeling technology. I use a Bass Pod and a Sansamp and they are amazing tools. It's best to go try all of them you can because like real guitar amps, they have their own sound and personalities.

The VS1880 has a low impedance connection which you can directly plug a guitar in... Don't know if your VS880 has that too... (Look for a jack input named LowZ )

If you have an effectsboard installed, there are amp simulations on these boards too. Don't know how they compair to the POD etc. But I have used some of these simulations happily...

Back