Guitar wiring, what kind of wire?

Oafy C

I am trying to put my Epi LP back together. I don't have any wire to go to the toggle switch or output jack. If I were to go to Radio Shack what kind of wire should I pick up? I was looking at what they had and I figured my best bet was 22 gauge single conductor. Would that be fine? Should I go with solid or stranded?

I am trying to put my Epi LP back together. I don't have any wire to go to the toggle switch or output jack. If I were to go to Radio Shack what kind of wire should I pick up? I was looking at what they had and I figured my best bet was 22 gauge single conductor. Would that be fine? Should I go with solid or stranded?

22 is a bit thicker than you need, but it works fine. Get stranded.

I like to use 22 gauge, though I've used 24 plenty. I prefer silver-plated copper with Teflon insulation, but just because it is easier to get a good solder joint on the back of the pots (the Teflon insulation doesn't melt). The silver thing is nice because, as a manufacturer, I'm eventually going to have to worry about RoSH compliance, which means no lead in my solder or wires. Well, I probably won't ever have to worry about it (my production isn't that high), but anything with lead in it is already getting difficult to find.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

When I wired up the jambolin, I used automotive wire. I don't know what gauge it is, but it is way too big. that guitar sounds very different than any of my other stratty guitars. It sounds much fuller. and switching between guitars with my wireless, my jambolin makes the clip light flash much more often than my fender and other strats. they all have essentially the same pickups and prximity to the strings. I was told it wouldn't make a difference other than it woudl be harder to cram the stuff into the cavity (true dat), but it really makes a huge difference to my ears.

One other difference is that the jambolin has only a volume control. No tone controls. if it were a decent guitar, it may not make it sound that much better, but since it's a shitpiece, I'll take every edge I can muster.

One other difference is that the jambolin has only a volume control. No tone controls. if it were a decent guitar, it may not make it sound that much better, but since it's a shitpiece, I'll take every edge I can muster.

That is FAR more likely to be the difference you are hearing than the wire. In fact, that IS the difference you are hearing. Wire gauge makes no perceptible difference. No tone control makes a quite noticeable difference, because even when they are all the way up they effect the sound of the guitar.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

No tone control makes a quite noticeable difference, because even when they are all the way up they effect the sound of the guitar.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Would you leave it out then? I amost always prefer the sound of my guitars with tone full open, and then eq the recording if needed. I am rewiring my strat, should i jsut make a ll three knobs volume and then be able to blend them to taste at will?

That sounds fun.

Daav

That is FAR more likely to be the difference you are hearing than the wire. In fact, that IS the difference you are hearing. Wire gauge makes no perceptible difference. No tone control makes a quite noticeable difference, because even when they are all the way up they effect the sound of the guitar.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

i had a f*cked tone pot on one of my guitars and couldn't get one for a few days so just i bypassed it. removing it made quite a difference in the sound/output. i think i like it better without a tone control (which i don't use any way).

Would you leave it out then? I amost always prefer the sound of my guitars with tone full open, and then eq the recording if needed. I am rewiring my strat, should i jsut make a ll three knobs volume and then be able to blend them to taste at will?

That sounds fun.

Daav

If you think you'd use it like that, have fun. I would HATE having it like that, but I really need to have a master volume. When I do want to blend things, I go with a blend pot, but that isn't going to do you any good with three pickups.

Actually, what I would do is get a couple of Fender's No-Load pots for your tone controls, which remove the tone control from the circuit when you turn them all the way up (there is a little gap in the track).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

If you think you'd use it like that, have fun. I would HATE having it like that, but I really need to have a master volume. When I do want to blend things, I go with a blend pot, but that isn't going to do you any good with three pickups.

Actually, what I would do is get a couple of Fender's No-Load pots for your tone controls, which remove the tone control from the circuit when you turn them all the way up (there is a little gap in the track).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Nice info, thanks Light.

Back