Guitar wall hangers

KevinDrummer

Anyone done any DIY projects that they can show off?

I'm about to purchase some metal wall mount hangers from MF, but I would be interested in seeing some creative DIY projects before I do.

Too many guitars leaning around on stuff in my very small space!

Kevin, I purchased a sheet of MDF SLATWALL, and ripped it lengthwise for two 2'x8' lengths. Then I bought some of the Slatwall guitar hangers from a music store. They have left-right angle adjustments. This gives me 6 rows high of slots to offset the heights, and as many guitars as I can fit in 8' on EACH of opposing walls. Works GREAT, although I still haven't mounted the panels since I moved in :rolleyes: Tooooooooo many other irons in the fire right now :D Oh, you can also get a gazillion different brackets from store fixture outlets for doing many other things.....absorber brackets, shelves, equipment hangers, headphone hangers, clothing racks,......er......the list is endless, and you can modify most of them. The come in plastic, clear plex, and millions of metal ones. I have a ton of em from working in a Store fixture manufacturing mill. I even modified a couple for hanging the rear surround speakers from. Makes for moving them temporarily easy. Same with the other stuff.
fitZ
PS, Slatwall comes in a plain MDF for painting, or with melamine, or sometimes you can find it with plastic laminates on it. Thats what I have. Silver laminate.
Then I ripped some gloss black laminate strips, and slipped them into the grooves. Looks great. Actually, I custom cut the slats in a decorative outline to be part of some wall graphics that hang from the hangers too. Came out nice. I'll post some pics as soon as I get em hung on the wall.

Last edited:
i posted this a while back

i have built a guitar wall about like what one of the guys posted in here and its done well for me at the price it do not think you can kick much about it although i have found that i have to take guitars down off my wall to mix anything good...

I use the String swing too, the metal version. I have hung mine through 1" of rigid fiberglass & 1/2" drywall using toggles bolts, and in one year have had no sagging.

mshilarious said:
I use the String swing too, the metal version. I have hung mine through 1" of rigid fiberglass & 1/2" drywall using toggles bolts, and in one year have had no sagging.

Yeah, the string swing metal version is what I was about to buy - just looking for some creative alternatives.

They aren't all that expensive so I'll prob just get a few. I've got 5 guitars laying around.

Go to Home Depot!!!! You will find padded utility hooks for $1.00 each!! drill them into a two by two or two by four after you paint it black and voila!!

Toy Room said:
the pic didnt work?

I sure hope those are not covered with vinyl, because if they are they will eat away the finish on any guitar with a nitro cellulose lacquer finish, such as the Les Pauls I saw in that shot, and maybe the Strat (depending on it's age). Most of the stuff I see at hardware stores is covered with vinyl.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

A guitar hook is nothing more than a "Y", as long as its coated with something that doesn't damage the finish, its good.

I'll be making mine out of metal (of course), and dipping them in tool-grip rubber and mounting them on the wall.

I think I'm gonna get the one's from MF. I was about to do the Home Depot thing, and I realized from looking at a picture on here with one of those hooks at an angle - that for my strat I would need to be angled. The string swing's self-adjust. I want the ability to put any guitar on any hanger without modifications.

frederic said:
A guitar hook is nothing more than a "Y", as long as its coated with something that doesn't damage the finish, its good.

I'll be making mine out of metal (of course), and dipping them in tool-grip rubber and mounting them on the wall.

Vinyl is what you have to look out for. Read the labels.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Hmmmmm.......I dont think these hooks are covered in vinyl but i could be wrong! They feel like some kinda mushy rubber.

Someone else posted this pic in a different thread but this is the EXACT hook I am using.

Attachments

• hook1.jpg
    hook1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 59
Back