Guitar Tuning Pegs

wtfuhz

5 dollar loud blunts
I'll keep this short and sweet. I want my guitar to stay in tune longer without the use of a locking nut. Speaking strictly about machine heads, not anything else that'll help intonation, which locking or non-locking tuners will do what i need them to? (In-line for a telecaster)

Since tuners don't slip and/or cause a guitar to go out of tune unless they're broken or defective, get whatever kind you want. If your guitar won't stay in tune, look elsewhere.

So you're saying that locking tuners have absolutely no purpose and are redundant? :confused:

So you're saying that locking tuners have absolutely no purpose and are redundant? :confused:

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. Unless a tuner is broken, defective, or strung up wrong, it's not going to slip and cause anything to go out of tune. Your guitar going out of tune is not the tuner's fault. I'd bet money on it.

Alright. I'd be willing to bet that it's the nut then. I'll just get a simple replacement and the problem will probably go away. I hear good things about tusq... or teflon. What would you recommend?

Alright. I'd be willing to bet that it's the nut then. I'll just get a simple replacement and the problem will probably go away. I hear good things about tusq... or teflon. What would you recommend?

I'd be willing to bet it's the nut too. Or the bridge/saddles. Probably the nut. I don't know what to recommend. Someone else will have to chime in on that. I don't think it's as simple as just plopping a new nut in place. It will probably need to be cut or modified specifically for your string gauge and set up preferences.

Locking tuners just lock the string in place when you restring them so you don't have to wind so much.
A nut can be replaced, or sometimes modified to work better, I have to rely on the luthier shop for that kind of work.
I bought my LP from a local boutique shop and they had to replace the nut as new, since it was cut wrong at the factory.

Locking tuners just lock the string in place when you restring them so you don't have to wind so much.

I've never used locking tuners, so thank you for clearing that up for me. A luthier would be a good idea if I do something with my nut :laughings: Other than that, my guitar should be good to go!

Yeah but I like the fact that they lock the string into the hole. I don't know if I could go back to standard ones at this point. haha

As already mentioned if you have tuning stability issues it is not the tuners. They either work or they don't.

To help you further you'd need to give more info. What strings go out of tune? All of them? Some of them? By how much? What bridge is on your guitar? Type of neck joint? Nut material and the strings you use. All those things and more can influence tuning stability.

Haha that's some pretty in depth stuff. They only go out of tune whenever there's a lot of string bending. I'm using .11's and the truss has been adjusted to accommodate that. I guess I might as well just upgrade the stock tele bridge too whenever I get the funds.

Haha that's some pretty in depth stuff. They only go out of tune whenever there's a lot of string bending. I'm using .11's and the truss has been adjusted to accommodate that. I guess I might as well just upgrade the stock tele bridge too whenever I get the funds.
It should be easier than that to correct. There are a couple of things that you can check. Make sure that all of the screws, and nuts are tight that are related to your tuners, neck, and bridge. They will loosen up over time. If you've recently changed to the 11's, the nut slots may be a little tight. If you can hear a tell-tale tink tink sound when you are tuning this is probably the case. Try lubricating the nut slots with a little graphite from a pencil lead. You shouldn't have to buy anything to fix this problem. G/L

Thank you. It was recent that I changed the string size. The guitar is fairly new and I think the guitar itself came with .09's so it very well could be the string size being a little large

If they're slipping replace them, if not check the guitar's set up from top to bottom. Tele's are known for their rock solid "staying in tune" Muddy Waters claimed that once his red tele didn't need tuning for nearly a month. All the previous mentions of nut, bridges and saddles are spot on to my way of thinking. Good luck.

*LOVE Telecasters.

If they go out of tune when bending then it is most certainly the nut or the saddle. Most likely the nut. If the string sticks in the slots then the tension is not even over the string and tuning will be out.. Get the nut slotted for the gauge of string you use.

It is NOT the tuners.

Gotcha. Have to get my nut replaced. They probably don't have my size but I'm sure a luthier would easily fix that.

OK, I have a question then. Would having a nut that accommodates .11s have detrimental effect when using .09s?

And while I'm not disputing the advise given (I certainly don't know the answer), I'm finding it hard to believe that you have to replace the nut every time you change string gauges.

Gotcha. Have to get my nut replaced. They probably don't have my size but I'm sure a luthier would easily fix that.
When you increase the string size, your old nut can be filed to fit the larger strings.

OK, I have a question then. Would having a nut that accommodates .11s have detrimental effect when using .09s?

And while I'm not disputing the advise given (I certainly don't know the answer), I'm finding it hard to believe that you have to replace the nut every time you change string gauges.
The better the fit of the strings to nut will affect how well the energy of the vibrating string transfers itself to the neck. This will have some impact on the tone, and sustain. Not huge, but usually noticeable.

Theoretically a good nut would allow the strings to pass over the nut freely so they don't bind in the slot and cause tuning stability issues. The slots ideally would be snug. A smaller gauge string in a wide slot can cause buzzing and also not intonate correctly because the "break" point is not in the right place.

You don't need to replace the nut if you go up a size or down a size. You need to replace or re-work the nut if the strings bind in the slots or don't intonate correctly. A well fitted and slotted nut will also have the slots cut to a depth similar to the height of the first fret. Too many nuts are cut high and cause intonation and tuning problems.

I'd be willing to bet it's the nut too. Or the bridge/saddles. Probably the nut. I don't know what to recommend. Someone else will have to chime in on that. I don't think it's as simple as just plopping a new nut in place. It will probably need to be cut or modified specifically for your string gauge and set up preferences.

Hehe, how profound!:guitar:

Back