Guitar Tracks

the_grudge

Ive read in a couple of places that sometimes people mic up 2 or 3 differnt amps simultaneously. If there going for a metal guitar sound sometimes theyll mic say a mesa rectifier distorted, a boogie distorted, and a marshall running a clean sound, to get a thicker guitar sound, one in which you dont really have to stack a bunch of tracks together to get a big sound, id like to try this technique.

I was curious as to whether any of you have tried recording guitars this way, and if so what was the set you found that worked best?

a much more convenient way is, while tracking, also record the Guitar signal DI for later reamping

I'm a firm believer in recording a DI signal along with the amp. About half the time I end up re-amping or using the DI through a modelor and mixing it into the original amp tracks.

For almost all the amps I've recorded I put an e609 or sm57 about an inch or two off the cone and then a pair mics in the room. The room mics get mixed back in at about 10% of the level of the close mic for added depth.

I did do a demo for a guitarist that had three or four vintage Fender amps that he claimed ALL contributed to his tone. We ended up micing all four of the darn things, plus two room mics. In the end though, the track from the Deluxe plus the room mics was all we used.

Bottom line, record a DI so you always have flexibility later.

I just got a Firepod and tried recording with 3 mics at one time on my halfstack, and I think I've gotten the best tone I ever recorded using this method. I used an Audix i5 about an inch from the grille, a SM57 at another speaker about an inch from the grille, and a Audio-Technica ATM25 about an inch from the grille at yet another speaker all on a 4x12 Mesa cab. I panned one track left, one right, and one centered and it's like a wall of guitar sound. It sounds great.

King,
YEAH! That sure would sound like a wall of sound! Of course when you go to mix that in with a band, you'll have to decide wear in the sonic space you want the guitars to be.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Now for the dumb question. Ive honestly never recorded guitar tracks DI. Almost always ive miced a cab, just personal preference, but id love to try it. We mostly use our presonus firepod interface.

Whats the best process for recording DI with mulitple signals?

the_grudge said:
Awesome. Thanks guys. Now for the dumb question. Ive honestly never recorded guitar tracks DI. Almost always ive miced a cab, just personal preference, but id love to try it. We mostly use our presonus firepod interface.

Whats the best process for recording DI with mulitple signals?

Most amps will have an emulated D.I output...could be a 1/4 inch cable or a mic cable.

TelePaul said:
Most amps will have an emulated D.I output...could be a 1/4 inch cable or a mic cable.

If you want to record a clean DI, you don't want to use an emulated line out from the amp.

If you use a dedicated DI box, most will have a thru output to connect to an amplifier so you can record both at the same time.

Back