guitar tones creator for recording

downonthestreet

As might be gleaned by the terminologically challenged title to this post, I have NO IDEA about the sorts of effects boxes or whatever that I am seeking, or even what to call them.

I am currently recording to HD using Cool Edit Pro, and have been miking a telecaster played through an old MXR distortion box and going to a bass amp (only because I don't have a guitar amp). I am trying to get a "natural" live distorted guitar sound, and am reasonably satisfied with the results, except for a sense of murkiness about the mixdown, which is hard to avoid with any distorted wall-of-sound style guitar, I know. Would be good to get a slightly more upfront sound that still sounds really crazed and manic (like James Williamson's guitar tones on, say, Search and Destroy off The Stooges Raw Power album, or even The Ramones). Plus, DIing is appealing because I wouldn't have to worry about getting grief from the neighbours. Working through earphones would be good, but not if the DI type sound wasn't as good as miking an amp.

I have an acquaintance who is a HD recording fanatic and visiting him at home recently, was impressed with the guitar sounds he is getting when doing his HD recording. He DIs into some sort of Zoom box setup, but he has gone away indefinitely and I have no idea now how to find out exactly what he's using. I know he said there are multiple settings he can choose from, like Gibson Les Paul with Marshall amp, Rickenbacker with Vox, or whatever.

Would anyone have any ideas on this? What are these Zoom units actually called, approx how much are they, and does anyone have any recommendations for anything like this other than Zoom? Or is Zoom state of the art for this kind of thing? I am always after "natural" guitar tones, heavily distorted, less distorted, jangly, or whatever - just not processed-sounding. Hope I have somehow managed to make myself clear here.

Any advice/information appreciated.

Last edited:
It sounds like what you are looking for is an "guitar amp simulator". Go to the "Guitars and Basses" forum and type "amp simulator" into the search box and you will get a ton of info about all different types of them.

Back