Guitar to bass - equipment re-use?

mrx

I'm branching out from guitar into bass and in the interest of marital harmony, would like to avoid all new purchases if existing gear can pull double duty. I have a QSC power amp we used for driving stage monitors - paired with a bass cabinet, would that do the trick for amplification?

(Too bad I missed April Fools Day - I could have asked if I could just put bass strings on a strat...)

Thanks

Bass is usually not all that hard to amplify, Do you have any EQ available in the signal chain?

I'd just try it and see what occurs. Many bands do without a bass amp and go directly into a board, where amps like the QSC might well be used.

Ed

mrx said:
I'm branching out from guitar into bass and in the interest of marital harmony, would like to avoid all new purchases if existing gear can pull double duty. I have a QSC power amp we used for driving stage monitors - paired with a bass cabinet, would that do the trick for amplification?

(Too bad I missed April Fools Day - I could have asked if I could just put bass strings on a strat...)

Thanks
Do it like this... preamp to QSC to bass cabinet. Note: "Bass Preamp"... i.e. Ampeg SVP-Pro.

Re: Re: Guitar to bass - equipment re-use?

DJL said:
Do it like this... preamp to QSC to bass cabinet. Note: "Bass Preamp"... i.e. Ampeg SVP-Pro.

...at which point it would be cheaper to just get a combo bass amp. Any suggestions there?

Re: Re: Re: Guitar to bass - equipment re-use?

mrx said:
...at which point it would be cheaper to just get a combo bass amp. Any suggestions there?

No... because then you'll later trade or sell that combo to buy and Ampeg ;)

I've heard really good things about the SansAmp Bass Driver DI and the Preamp that they make as well. Go ahead and do the power amp/cabinet combo you were planning but get a quality preamp.

For rock music or any derivative thereof you'll probably end up with an Ampeg so suck it up and get it now.

I love my Bass Driver...I consider it one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought. $200 very well spent.

For cabinets, I would go with any of the Ampeg SVT cabs...1x15, 4x10, 8x10, etc, depending on your needs and your budget. They're less expensive than some of the other Ampeg lines, look a lot better (in my opinion), and sound great.

Oh yeah, one more thing...I'd imagine that a real high gain head might sound kind of neat through that SVT810 cab...just something to think about...

Our other guitar player is somewhat of an equipment junkie. He buys and sells more gear in the average year than most do in a lifetime.

He shops a lot of pawn shops for gear. His recent purchases included a small Crate bass amp, with a single 15" speaker. I think he paid about $125, and it sounds quite good.

Carvin also makes some low cost bass combo amps. Peavey also has some. Hartke also makes some very good models, but they tend to be pricey.

Ed

As a B15N owner who is planning to buy a B100R this month, I'd go with the Ampeg for a combo. I have a Carvin bass which I love but too many people have told me their bass amps are inferior. Assuming you DIDN'T put bass strings on your Strat, you might consider a Carvin bass. Mine is an LB20 with mahogany body & neck and it's my lifetime bass.

Back