Guitar suggestions ?

cubanorocker316

Hello, all.
I'm planning on getting a new guitar soon. Probably in the 300-500$ range. I play music anywhere from death metalcore to the beatles, but obviously I wanna concentrate on the death metalcore characteristics, while still being able to get a nice thick tone with the cleans. If anyone has any decent suggestions, please reply with ideas.

A few I was thinking of :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Viper200FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516674

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DXMB-X-Electric-Guitar?sku=512239

The best thing you can do is spend an afternoon at the store playing/comparing different guitars. Take your amp with you. A good dealer will accomodate you with a small room to play in. Let your ears decide.

What he said.

I like Guitar Center, even though it's uncool to like it.

The reason I like it is that I can go in there and pick up anything I want, make noise, be a dork, bump things (by accident), and have a great time. Nobody bugs me or stares at me.

I used to go to a local shop, but there were signs everywhere telling me to keep my hands off the stuff, and the guys who worked there were arrogant for the most part. Any question I asked was scoffed at.

So now I shop at GC and don't feel any shame whatsoever.

That said, for the price you're looking at, I'd suggest Ibanez. They make great guitars that are specifically built for metal, rock, etc.

Ibanez RG is a good place to start. Bridge PuP is pretty shredding and the hisck and mdl can clean up nicely. Skinny minny necks though, which I dont care for, but to rach their own.

for the money Ibanez is great, some of the Jacksons are great, and I love Dean from the guitars to the customer service Dean has never let me down

yeah Ibanez rg would be a nice buy

nice for the metal and also has a really nice clean sound

all depends on your amp aswell though

What he said.

I used to go to a local shop, but there were signs everywhere telling me to keep my hands off the stuff, and the guys who worked there were arrogant for the most part. Any question I asked was scoffed at.

So now I shop at GC and don't feel any shame whatsoever.

Unless you are the proverbial bull in a china shop or insist on playing "Stairway to Heaven" over and over at the threshold of pain, it sounds to me like the guys at your local shop are idiots.

I don't mean this as a dig at the original poster, but this sort of thing is not really going to do you any good. The only thing people are going to do is tell you the guitars that they like and what difference should that make to you? Go to a shop and play every guitar that catches your eye and that's how you'll find your guitar.
There is really no guitar more suited to death metal than any other as long as it's got a bridge humbucker. In other words, one could recommend a Fat Strat, a BC Rick Warlock, a Les Paul, a Jackson FLying V, and a Dean Cadillac but it all boils down to whichever one you prefer. You might as well not listen to anybody and just go play some guitars.

I don't mean this as a dig at the original poster, but this sort of thing is not really going to do you any good. The only thing people are going to do is tell you the guitars that they like and what difference should that make to you? Go to a shop and play every guitar that catches your eye and that's how you'll find your guitar.
There is really no guitar more suited to death metal than any other as long as it's got a bridge humbucker. In other words, one could recommend a Fat Strat, a BC Rick Warlock, a Les Paul, a Jackson FLying V, and a Dean Cadillac but it all boils down to whichever one you prefer. You might as well not listen to anybody and just go play some guitars.

I agree that the only way to decide on a guitar is to go play a bunch of them. But, the original poster may very well find out about some guitars he had not thought of. He may not have thought of playing a Fat Strat, for example.

I'd also agree with whoever suggested Dean - they make great value guitars in that price range. Or at least they used to, I honestly haven't seen any around recently. Samick is also a great value brand - I once owned a Samick Les Paul lookalike for around $350. Still kinda regret selling it. The other day at GC I played a Schecter in right around that range. It also had coil taps, which I honestly didn't play around with, but they might help you get a good clean tone?

Ibanez RG is a good place to start. Bridge PuP is pretty shredding and the hisck and mdl can clean up nicely. Skinny minny necks though, which I dont care for, but to rach their own.

I gotta say ditto to the RG's. Pick up a straight used one for cheap...even the low end models like the 270 or 320's which have the cheapie "Ibanez" branded pups. They sound alright depenending on the amp but for me I'd say replace the pups and you've got a nice shredder's instrument. They're fun to play, and even more fun to mod. The wizard necks are smooth and thin, but I have to say that I do prefer the wizard II necks since they don't have binding and the finish is usually satin instead of gloss...I have sweaty hands so less finish the better.

BTW...Metalhead...makes some good points. The RG's are nice to me but my sausage sized fingers like the RG fret boards. They might not be your thing. Play a bunch, get past the looks at first and see what sounds and plays comfortably. Then pick through the affordable options.

+1 to the Ibanez. I don't particularly like most RGs due to personal comfort reasons, but they are great all around guitars. Good for shredding, and I'm willing to bet you can get a pretty decent clean out of it...But keep in mind, the guitar is built for shredding, you may want to consider a second guitar at a later point for another style of music. It really depends on what it's being used for, jamming at home or playing shows with a band.

Your amp is going to define your sound more than anything though, and it's going to be quite hard to find an amp that can range that much.

If you're in the market for an amplifier as well, feel free to ask me.

I have to agree with Ibanez, but I too as am not crazy about the RG series. No matter how I adjust it, the action always seems stiff, and the stings always seem to go out of wack quickly. Also, it's not the best guitar if you like to solo.

Try one out anyway, and see if you like it.

Back