Guitar - Slight Buzz/Hum (Ground)?

bobandshawn

Hey guys,
I just bought myself a Peavey Raptor Strat Style guitar at the pawn shop for $25.00 and refurbed it to 90%. Looks and plays GREAT - comparable to a MIM Fender! Slight issue...when everything is turned up (volume, tones) and gain on amp there is a slight hum/buzz in all positions. However, when I touch any metal part of the guitar including strings it stops.

I know this must be a ground issue so I checked, and the ground was soldered to the trem plate. I'm really a novice at electrical work so does anyone have an idea of what else I should be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Hey guys,
I just bought myself a Peavey Raptor Strat Style guitar at the pawn shop for $25.00 and refurbed it to 90%. Looks and plays GREAT - comparable to a MIM Fender! Slight issue...when everything is turned up (volume, tones) and gain on amp there is a slight hum/buzz in all positions. However, when I touch any metal part of the guitar including strings it stops.

I know this must be a ground issue so I checked, and the ground was soldered to the trem plate. I'm really a novice at electrical work so does anyone have an idea of what else I should be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

I am not an expert, but that doesn't sound like a ground issue. Just standard hum, does it have single coils? Try shielding the body cavity and/or picking up some replacement pickups that are made to be quiet (I just replaced my strat pickups with bill lawrence's and they are great).

Hey guys,
I just bought myself a Peavey Raptor Strat Style guitar at the pawn shop for $25.00 and refurbed it to 90%. Looks and plays GREAT - comparable to a MIM Fender! Slight issue...when everything is turned up (volume, tones) and gain on amp there is a slight hum/buzz in all positions.

However, when I touch any metal part of the guitar including strings it stops. I know this must be a ground issue so I checked, and the ground was soldered to the trem plate. I'm really a novice at electrical work so does anyone have an idea of what else I should be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

That'd defo a ground issue IMO. The raptor has a humbucker in the bridge right? Put it in the bridge position and take your hands off....if putting them back on reduces the slight hum (I say slight because a humbucker will cut out the majority of the guitars' buzzing) then it's grounding for sure. Sorry i don't know what to do about it though!

Back