Guitar Rig for Metal

Bryaxis

Hey guys,
I'm going to purchase a guitar rig soon, and I need some help. I play metal/hardcore and I need some suggestions on Guitars, Half-stacks, Effects etc. I'm using my graduation money for it..but I'll also be using money from work. I want to get stuff that's as close to Pro quality as possible. I've been looking at: ESP Guitars, Gibson Les Paul Guitars, Ibanez Guitars, Marshall amps, Crate Blue Voodoo amps, stuff like that. This is just some things I've been looking at.. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks. By the way..I only WANT to spend a $1,500-2,000..but this is SORT OF negotiable..thanks!
Bryan

2,000? hmmmmm..... well If u want to get as close to pro as possible 2000 would only be enough for a good amp head (no cab) or a good guitar.... i play mostly metal but love everything else and play everything too.... look at the high end ibanez rg models for guitars.... they run about 1200 but play perfectly. they pickup they put in those things sound good for everything too.... especially metal... as for effects goes. wait until u have a good guitar and amp before u buy effects. It is possible for a 2000 effects processor to sound like shit cause its played through a crappy amp. As far as amps goes, if ur mostly into metal mesa boogie should be the first thing to come to mind. Those amps are built like tanks and are the metal standard... If u really want the best sound though look at the used, discontinued two channel rectifiers. Their sound is waaaaaay better than the new three channel ones... also look into vht amps, don't know much about them except their metal designed amps and the dude in mudvayne uses them and hes got a sick tone....

I would also look into getting a Line 6 Vetta combo amp (2x12), LOTS of Versitility (built in amp sims and effects) and it wWILL rip the paint off of the wall. You can upgrade it to an extension cab (2x12) later as you get more money, that way you can run the whole rig stereo. My metal head brother just got one and now his Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head and Steel Plated Rectifier 4x12 cab just collect dust.

clif

My rig:
japanese fender strato reissue loaded with a hot rails and .10 strings
marshal jmp-1 + 8008 solid state power amp
peavey 412 classic 4x12 cabinet.
You can find it, maybe changing the cabinet, for under 1200 I think.

Surely, a tube power amp would be better, specially a boogie one, but can't afford that right now.

some mp3s I recorded with my rig:
http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/gleicon/crushed/

If you are into hardcore/metal, you better go to fender/gibson.

Good luck !

hehe I don't know as much about the amp end of things...Ive only got a cheap behringer :D, and it is small. altho for 500 canadian, it came with a shitload of effects, a nice solid pedal for turn distortion and effects on and off, oh and my buddies bass rig has the same size speaker and it simply cannot compete (peavey) so I leave mine at half volume...again IT IS SMALL. As far as AMPS go Id probably be lookin more at a Marshall, Mesa, or even a Laney.

The real reason I replied to this is because more as time goes on I would like to get my hands on a Les Paul more than anything. Quite simply I believe it to be the most versatile guitar out there.

"Cheap" but good all tube head with lots of sounds and cool metal sound: Laney VH100R

"Expensive" but 'best' all tube head with lots of sounds and fat metal sounds: ENGL Savage Special

For easy playability and metal sound and looks, look for Ibanez (S series and RG series), Jackson (RR, Kelly, Dinky, Shannon Soloist) and USA B.C. Rich. DON'T BUY Korean or Japanese B.C. Riches, they have bodies all made of some wood-pulp, which is relatively light, which makes the real wooden neck and headstock heavy, so they want to sack down.
A Gibson Les Paul looks cool and sounds cool for certain (hard-)rock and lighter metal styles (ofcourse Zakk Wylde being the exception to this rule), but these are really big and heavy guitars, so their playability isn't really suited for Malmsteen-like shredding.
But you CAN shred on a Gibson SG, which has a much thinner neck.

About multi-fx: try to find a 2nd handed Digitech GSP2120 or a Lexicon MPX G2 or a TC G-Major or G-Force...those are highly regarded in 'the metal scene of 19" units"... ;)

I had a gh100L once, before my jmp1, and really enjoyed its sound. Loud as hell, with my peavey cab, and for the price, hard to find an all tube head like that.
I dig the fenders, with rosewood necks and .10 strings, neck carved ( I dont know the right word in english for it, just like the malmsteen model ), and hot rails
I love it :~)

I played through a Marshall half stack in metal and punk bands for years and NEVER got to really open that thing up. Half stacks are just for looks. My advice is that you'll do better with a combo.

See if you can get your hands on a Boogie dc-3. They should be going for less than $500 on e-bay for a 12" combo. The dirty channel is modelled after their dual rectifier. It's a very versatile and very loud amp.

I'll put my vote in for either an IbanezRG or a charvel/Jackson. Both tend to scream, and both play fast and smooth is setup well

I have a GrassRoots (=some daughter-brand from ESP) Horizon guitar, which I almost use extensively for rock/metal. Now the stock pick ups really sucked, so I had them replaced with a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 in the neck (single coil size), and a Seymour Duncan 59'er in the bridge. This is such a great sound...high output, creamy soaring mids... Hell, it even made a JCM900 stack sound decent! :eek:
I can highly recommend this as a rock/metal pick-up.
(I choose this, because I was afraid that other pickups like Full Shred and Distortion would be over-the-top... and I still play clean stuff from time to time, so that's why the 59'er is like the best of both worlds)

There are some good tips already stated. Such as getting an Ibanez RG 500 series and up and Mesa/Boogie. However, such choices can depend on the type of metal you are going for. The RG is good for metal and shredding, but a Les Paul can also be good depending on your style.

For example, the Gibson LP has a shorter scale and mahogany which gives it a darker tone. This shorter scale also affects playability. Gibson players include Zakk Wylde and James Hetfield. Both use EMG-81 pickups in the bridge position and 89's in the neck.

If you get a Gibson, you can easily get a studio series for under a grand. However, that doesn't leave much for an amp. If you get an Ibanez RG, you can get a 500 series for around $500 or less.

Also, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T GET A Digitech 2120 FOR AN EFFECTS UNIT! (Sorry Speed). I had one and couldn't stand it. The tube preamp wasn't great and it ruined my tone when I used it in the effects loop of my Boogie. I ended up trading it for a $400 used ESP MIII.

Here is my advice:
For that amount of money, get something of real, honest, enduring value. Something that will still have value 20 years from now. A Crate amp will not really be worth anything in 10 years. Neither will most guitars made in Korea. I'm not saying that all cheap gear sucks - it has its place.
What I'm saying is that at the price point you stated you are far better off purchasing something that has intrinsic value, such as a Les Paul. People may hate me for saying this, but I don't think Ibanez will endure. I think eventually they will fall right alongside Kramer. Same with ESP. The one "Metal" guitar I would identify as having lasting value might be a USA Jackson. PRS would fit the bill too.

As for amps, I would agree heartily with fprod south: unless you play arenas, Marshall stacks are a pissing contest. A combo is the way to go. Brands? I feel there are more options here with "enduring value": Marshall, Mesa-Boogie, Rivera, Engl, etc. But not Crate!

Can you get all that under $2000? Hmmm.... maybe if you buy used and are patient. If you have to pick one over the other, splurge on the amp and get a cheap guitar! That is advice I think just about every guitarist would agree with.

The point is, when the dust clears it's better to have one great piece of gear than 5 pieces of crap.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

equipment for recording

I also play metal and my rig(not the best or most high tech) was affordable because I purchased it a little at a time(over a period of years). I have 2 Kramer Baretta guitars-(1 from the early 80's, 1 from MusicYo), an Ibanez Performer Acoustic, Crate GS 150 combo, Marshall JCM 900 4100 head and 4x12 cab, Boss GT-6 effects processor, Zoom RT-123 drum/bass machine, and Cakewalk software. I got the cakewalk off of Ebay for $8 and it by far has saved me the most money. I can record directly from my Boss GT-6 processor into this, edit, you name it.
Bottom line.. don't spend your last dime on equipment--buy just a little at a time and you'll be far happier...

I say go for a halfstack. If you end up playing with loud drummers which you probably will in metal and hardcore, you're going to have to crank a combo like mad. I used to have to crank my 100 watt halfstack to get heard over our old loud ass drummer. It also depends on the room youre in I guess. I say go for something with power. You won't always need it, but its there if you do and you'll never have to push it to the limit.

Do not skimp on the speaker cab. I messed around with lower ranged 4x12's for years until I got a Marshall 1960A and now I know why theyre so much more expensive than ampegs and whatnot.

The Line 6 Head II or whatever its called (the older red one) is a pretty good deal. It's only about $900 or so, so with that and a cab you're at about $1500 for a nice, powerful and very VERSITILE rig.

For guitars you can get a nice one for $500 despite what many people might think. Don't try to pay for a name. Sure, higher priced guitars will sound a bit better and be built a bitter better and whatnot, but look for something to start you out. Schecter and Epiphone make some sweet guitars that play better than many higher priced guitars.

Personally I can't stand Jackson imports, and the U.S. models will probably be out of your reach. I think for metal, the key ingredients are the pickups, the head and the speakers. I've seen players actually get beef out of Fender strats. Go figure.

Lopp said:

Also, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T GET A Digitech 2120 FOR AN EFFECTS UNIT! (Sorry Speed). I had one and couldn't stand it. The tube preamp wasn't great and it ruined my tone when I used it in the effects loop of my Boogie. I ended up trading it for a $400 used ESP MIII.
Lopp, maybe I'm a bit biased, because I've seen one 2nd handed for $550 (and $650 incl. Control One), and since the 2nd handed 2120 in my local store still costs $1200, I'd venture to say that the $550 one (online) is a steal... I've heard good sounds come from it... There was also a guy in that same local store who traded his whole (metal) rig* for a Hughes and Kettner Zentera amp. And believe me, his old rig was worth much more.

*=rig consisted of
Mesa Boogie Triaxis tube MIDI controlled pre-amp
Mesa Boogie 2:90 simulclass power-amp
TC Electronics G-Major multi-fx processor
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cabinet

But if I were to buy a decent multi-fx unit, I'd go for a TC G-Force, since I'm not gonna use a pre-amp stage from some digital multi-fx. I'll use a multi-fx in the FX-loop of a real tube-amp...

tuna said:
Thats it !
combo tip: mesa boogie subway or if you find it, a old jcm800.
Indeed, try to find a 2nd handed JCM800 2203 (they usually go for $500-600), get some hot ass (tube-)drive pedal for it (H&K Tubefactor, Banzai Fireball II, Visual Sound Route 66), add a cool cheap delay-pedal (Ibanez DE-7, sounds fantastic!), instead of a Marshall cab, get an Engl 4x12" cab (smoother sound, way better build-quality) and blow the rest on the gee-tahr.

head: $500-600
drive pedal: $150-200
delay pedal: $75 (maybe add a wah or a chorus...)
cab: $600-800
-------------------
total: +/- $1400. $600 should get you a fine guitar!

LINE FUCKING 666!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE, BUY YOURSELF A LINE 6 FLEXTONE HEAD, A LINE 6 4x12 CAB, AND THE 2x12 CAB. PURCHASE THE CHEAPER FLOORBAORD UNIT. YOU NOW HAVE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL KICKASS METAL RIGS, AND FOUR CHANNEL OPERATION. NOW GO AND BUY A SCHECTER 006 IN WALNUT FINISH...THEY ARE AWESOME GUITARS. YOU STILL HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER TO BUY SOME OTHER SHIT IF YOU HAVE 2000 TO BEGIN. I USE THIS AS MY METAL RIG, AND I HAVE YET TO FIND A BAND IN THE STATE THAT WEILDS MORE POWER THAN THIS THING DOES. IF YOU WANNA FUCK AROUND WITH TUBES YOU WILL BE SERVICEING SERVICING SERVICING....NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO BE WORRIED ABOUT WHEN GIGGING ALOT. TOUCHY ARE THOSE TUBE AMPS. ANOTHER OPTION IS THE WARHEAD. THIS IS DIME'S RIG. YOU CAN GET A HALF OR MAYBE EVEN A FULL STACK FOR THE 2 GRAND. AND PEOPLE SAY SOLID STATE SUCKS. WELL SUCK THIS...SOLID STATE KICKS SERIOUS METAL ASS IN SOME CASES.

Back