Guitar recording

HFFritz

I recently got a Yamaha 8 track cassette. In the manual, they indicated that the guitar should be connected to a 'guitar processor' and then into the deck. What is a guitar processor? I plug the guitar into an amp and then come through a jack in the back of the amp to the deck, but the sound is not so good and it picks up the hum of the amp. The more instruments I record this way increases the hum. How do I record clean sounding guitar with reverb?

Sorry,wrong forum.

[This message has been edited by MISTERQCUE (edited 06-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MISTERQCUE (edited 06-27-2000).]

You might want to try micing the amp instead of taking a direct signal out. You'll probably like the sound a lot better. As for guitar processors, that can include "stompbox" type foot pedals, multiple effect processors, etc.--take a look in a music store and if they do guitars at all they should have a whole range of guitar processors for you to look at and try out.

An SM-57 about 1 half inch from the grill clothe.off to the side of the speaker (the outside if a dual cab) not centered works great, For me anyway.
Goodluck friend

I would suggest to never ever use that little jack in the back of the amp, especially not for recording purposes.

Also trying to hook more than one instrument to the amp is a bad idea especially for recording purposes. ( I presume you have more than one input on the amp).

The 80's cop (mr William Shattner himself) has good advise here.

Tj is right. But it seams no one answered your question about the processor. They just show you how to hook one up if you want to, but you don't NEED to have one. A wah wah dedal, a distortion pedal, a Digitech RP7, are all what they're talking about. At least I think this is what they're talking about :) I could be horribly mistaken.

I would still mic it. I don't like the sound coming out of those Zoom machines, and about POD.. well, that's your own choice:-)

good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty:
Kelly...ignore them. Let them wallow in their ignorance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who do you mean by them MONTY I never said anything bad about
P
O
D I've never tried one. But I have tried recording my guitar DI
:p

[This message has been edited by T.J.Hooker (edited 07-10-2000).]

What kind of amp do you have. My Mesa has a "recording" out that sounds great. Well convincing anyway. The thing is with a line leval signal, (a direct out) you will get much better results if you are NOT pre-amping the signal. If your recorder has line level inputs then use that, if you have to use a mic input then turn the trim all the way down and use the fader and the volume of the amp to get the best signal.

I have a Laney and a Peavey Bandit. The Laney is a tube amp, and I plan to replace the tubes to see if that reduces the hum. They both allow a 1/4" jack out the back for a direct signal, which I assumed would be better than micing the amp (with my crummy Radio Shack mic). Thanks to all of you for the responses. I'll save up for a guitar processor that will, they claim, emulate a vintage amp and alleviate the hum problem.

The POD is a decent choice for the "processor" that you need. A pre-amp of any kind will suffice as far as the Yamaha is concerned. It's just wanting you to get past the impedance mismatch and the levels mismatch.
But the POD goes much further than that.
It's the first stomp-box I've ever bought that I don't regret buying. Not as quiet as a real pre-amp but MUCH more flexible.

Back