guitar preamps - combining signals

SF Audio

Here's something I've always wanted to do - split my guitar signal and run into two separate preamps then combine the preamps into a stereo pair to run into my power amp and 4X12. Seems like a simple line mixer can do the mixdown of the preamp signals....anyone ever do this? If so, what mixer have you used? Any other advanced routing tricks you can add?

thanks

SF Audio said:
Here's something I've always wanted to do - split my guitar signal and run into two separate preamps then combine the preamps into a stereo pair to run into my power amp and 4X12. Seems like a simple line mixer can do the mixdown of the preamp signals....anyone ever do this? If so, what mixer have you used? Any other advanced routing tricks you can add?

thanks

One of the two should do the job placed before the preamps:

http://www.morleypedals.com/daby.html
http://www.morleypedals.com/dtripler.html

C

The mixer approach is probably better, more flexible, and lower in cost.

I use a small Behringer mixer (about $60) for this and it works well. With a mixer, you get EQ controls for each input, pan control, as well as output level control for multiple outputs. I run the main stereo outs to the main PA board, and the separate control room outs to a stage monitor amp setup.

Ed

There are a number of companies that make rack mount line mixers for doing that. You have to be very careful with the cable lenghts. It is very easy to get the signal from the 2 preamps out of phase with each other. A 3 foot cord on one side and a 20 foot cord on the other will really not be cool if you intend to sum them all together and bring them out of the same cabinet.
Most of the people who do this sort of thing split the guitar signal to multiple amps each with their own cabinet.

Farview said:
There are a number of companies that make rack mount line mixers for doing that. You have to be very careful with the cable lenghts. It is very easy to get the signal from the 2 preamps out of phase with each other. A 3 foot cord on one side and a 20 foot cord on the other will really not be cool if you intend to sum them all together and bring them out of the same cabinet.
Most of the people who do this sort of thing split the guitar signal to multiple amps each with their own cabinet.

Thanks for the info. I have only one cab, so my goal is to create unique sounds via the preamps. Maybe even a guitar synth thrown in....if I have a line mixer I can imagine combining three or more preamp signals, then blending to taste....I'd guess I'll need to keep the distortion levels down on the preamps or it could easily turn to fuzzy cheeze....

Do you already have two pre's? I would invest in a second cab (even a 1x12 or 2x12) if you have a stereo power amp. It might cost more but the end result will be well worth it.

SF Audio said:
Thanks for the info. I have only one cab, so my goal is to create unique sounds via the preamps. Maybe even a guitar synth thrown in....if I have a line mixer I can imagine combining three or more preamp signals, then blending to taste....I'd guess I'll need to keep the distortion levels down on the preamps or it could easily turn to fuzzy cheeze....
My mixer has three inputs. One stereo pair from the guitar effects chain and two stereo feeds from separare guitar synth units (both Roland). Te output feeds a stereo power amp, which drives two 2x12 cabinets.

Ed

Back