Guitar Pedals running in series, gain drop from mixer...

fluxburn

I find that when I run a aux out from my mixer to a single guitar pedal it sounds far more raw and loud than if I run pedals in series. I am meaning I link mutliple guitar pedals from a single aux out to a aux return. I assume this is because the pedals need that extra juice that comes from the source to its input. Also should I run a direct box after a pedal or is the mixer aux return succient.

ie
aux=>pedal=>aux return = loud
vs
aux=>pedal1=>pedal2=>aux return = pedal 2 is quieter than pedal pedal1

Would the alternative to get (do these exist) a box that would allow me to run these pedals in series? I have 4 guitar pedals and soon with have 5. I enjoy the electro harmonix pedals to add some analog noise to some sounds and so forth.

so series would look like this
=>pedal1=>
=>pedal2=>
Aux=>Pedal Box Send=>pedal3=>Pedal Box Return=>Aux Return
=>pedal4=>
=>pedal5=>

I guess I should just get a mini mixer really with 6 to 8 channels lol.

Last edited:
There are two issues. The inputs of the pedals want a high impedance instrument level signal and you are feeding them a hotter line level. The same problem happens on the return when you put a high impedance instrument level signal back into a line level input. Obviously it still works but it does cause some gain and tone issues.

You might want to return the signal to a DI box and then into a mic preamp so you can get the signal back up again. The best way to do this is to use a Reamp box. www.reamp.com

You're just going to have to experiment because your not using any of the gear the way it was originally designed so there isn't really a 'best way' to do it. Obviously the less stuff in the chain the cleaner the signal.

Alright that looks like a great tool. I will possibly get another small mixer just for the pedals and other effects gear. I have 6 aux on this mackie, and 4 return only. I was going to upgrade to a mix wizard from allen & heath. Maybe I will just use the mackie mixer as a aux mixer then.

Back