guitar pedal/effects/signal processor must haves?

typecaste

I am trying to expand my rig, and am looking for the right pedals/effects/signal processors.
Right now I have:
Cort w/ EMG 85
Krank Revolution 1 Amp
Avatar 4x12 Cab (vintage 30's and g12h30's)
Sonic Maximizer
Cray Baby

Any reccomendations for "Must have's" within your guitar rig? What is your favorite guitar pedal/effecs/signal processor? Thanks!!!

Boss GT-6. A goodly number of people don't like the distortions on this board, but they're doing fine for me. YMMV.

I LOVE effects, but I realize I don't need to have a flanger/chorus/delay/compressor/phaser/reverb/blahblahblah on EVERY song. To me, this was the best option rather than thinking "ah shit...I just wrote something that needs a phaser. Time for another trip to the pedal store." The versatility is right there when I need it inside a nice intuitive package.

If I felt I needed any other individual pedals, I wouldn't mind having a separate delay unit. The GT-6 is fine for this, but I might go for a Boss DD-5, or the big green one from Line 6 (I forget the model number).

I personally believe that the Digitech GSP 2101's are some of the best processors out there. You can always find one on eBay for under $250 which I consider a steal. There may be a bit more of a learning curve with them but once you get the hang of it and spend some time tweaking the settings to your own personal taste... they can't be beat.

I'll never be without a compressor pedal from now on. I have kind of a cheapie (Boss CS-3) and it has absolutely revolutionized my setup in the 3 or 4 years that I've had it. I can't wait to upgrade someday to see how a better compressor/sustainer helps out. I play with a low-gain tube crunch for the most part, and at one stomp of the pedal, it can push those tubes into a fantastic overdrive with no real impact to my tone.

Standard fare for pedals usually includes a wah pedal, a flanger or phaser, a delay, an EQ pedal and maybe some sort of distortion pedal for some variation on what distortions your amp can provide.

I plan on using a newly acquired FMR RNC, for my rig. I have yet to try it, but A good compressor is definately high on my list for a well rounded guitar setup. thanks!

btek

Not trying to be a smart ass but you might wanna start with a good guitar and amp. What you have right now is not on par with a real guitar rig.

my guitar itself needs work, but i love the sound of the emg-85's, so you may have a point there, but...
Have you ever played a krank?
it is the last Amp i will ever buy. It blows away a mesa boogie triple rectifier.
not to be a smart ass, but try one, before you claim it's "not on par."

Back