Guitar necks - quick question

tigerflystudio

Hi, because I play exlusively heavy riffs my Ibanez and rarely (if ever) play chords of more than 3 or 4 strings, I'm thinking of removing the 2 highest strings (B and E, in std tuning).

The MAIN reason for this is that during some complex riffs I often brush / catch the highest 2 strings with my inner (left) palm which creates an audible (unwanted) string noise. Please, no suggestions of "better technique!" Ha ha ha...

So, becuase my Ibanez is a hard-tail, and becuase I NEVER use the highest 2 strings on that particular guitar (I'm lucky enough to have a selection of guitar for various other styles of playing), I'm wondering if by removing the 2 strings, will it warp / twist the (bolt on) neck? Anyone hhad this or hear dof it?

Nah ...... I can't see it being an issue ....... those two strings should be putting the least tension on the neck ..... I doubt the neck will even notice.

Muttley could come along and ask if I'm V.P. in disguise but I really imagine he'll confirm my opinion on this one.

Nah ...... I can't see it being an issue ....... those two strings should be putting the least tension on the neck ..... I doubt the neck will even notice.

Muttley could come along and ask if I'm V.P. in disguise but I really imagine he'll confirm my opinion on this one.

They do put some tension on the neck and you may need to tweak the truss rod a bit to get rid of resulting buzzes or choking. Then again you may not. Then again you might not like the feel with just four strings, then again you may get along fine with it. One thing for sure is you won't damage anything by trying it and you can quickly go back if you change your mind.

Please, no suggestions of "better technique!"

That's like saying that you are having trouble walking barefoot through a nest of rattlesnakes but please don't suggest that you wear boots. I'll bet that your problem stems from wearing your guitar way too low.

1. That would cause your left hand to lay too flat against the high strings.
2. The body would also be too low to do proper string mutes with your right hand.

I hate to sound like GregL but removing 2 strings from a guitar = gay.

Seriously maybe you should just consider playing a bass then?

I wear my guitar reasonably high - about the same height as Tom Morello. This allows good access to all the strings. Been playing rock / metal guitar for about 15 years so I don't think it's a technique thing. For live use, this isn't an issue, but when recording, I've noticed there in the background of the main riffs, there's an audible higher strings 'noise' from gentle brushing.

They're pretty complex riffs, played by just one guitar (lots of finger stretching), so maybe I'll just have to live with it? I'm just a perfectionist...

Last edited:
...Been playing rock / metal guitar for about 15 years so I don't think it's a technique thing. For live use,

I'll bet it is- let me guess- you are largely or completely self-taught, right? You have probably developed several habits that cause bad technique, and have no idea you have done so.

I didn't learn a single damn riff from what was my best guitar teacher- he drilled me on good ergonomics. I found I was doing stupid things like freting the strings about 5 times harder than I needed to. Sell one of your guitars and find a teacher like that- and keep all six strings on all your guitars. If you have any seven-string monstrosities, sell THEM. ALL of them.

ha ha ha... Stevieb... You could very well have been right with your judgemental guestimate, but, alas, on this occasion, you're bang wrong. Sorry. No offence intended. I actually studied for 3 years under one of the best tutors in my city. Been 'learning' ever since (any guitarist worth their salt never stops learning, right?). I've had the good fortune to play with many excellent 6 stringers - a few top-flight pro's, a bunch of awesome semi-p's and stacks of undervalued clubbing axe-maniacs. And although I've held my own, I've also taken every opportunity to learn what I can from them.

So no, I reiterate, it's not a technique thing... but thanks for your reply. And yes, I have a 7 stringer. As do most advanced players in the heavy rock / metal domain. It's just a natural progression for some guitarists. And have you heard the monster riffs you can get from a 7? That thud is the sound of 6'ers jaw hitting the flaw.

But anyway, I've come up with a solution to the feint B and E string palm brushing noise - I simply muffled / muted them by pressing a blob of blu-tac onto them at the 3rd fret. Simple. Re-recorded the guitar part and it was an instant fix. Clean take. No good for live use, but it's not such an issue for me live (sheer volume / drummer / etc. masking stuff)

Back