Guitar Neck Problem...neeed help

JPXTom

My samick formula's neck seems to have an issue...i was re-stringing the guitar, and as i put the high e on, i went to play the first five frets on the e string and they wouldn't play...it would make a sound like it was muted or something...not a note at all. I then looked at the neck, and noticed the right side(side with high e)...a part of the neck was raised up...u could notice it a lot...now, is fixing this going to be easy or not? Possibly a truss rod problem? Will I possibly need a new neck? I can try and take some pics...dont know if i have my brothers camera around...but yeah...first 5 frets on e(and first 3 on the b) are not making any notes.

Does it fret above the fifth fret OK? What type of neck to body join have you got? Have you changed string gauge? It sounds like you may have a truss rod or high fret issue or the less likely a nut or body join issue. Does the open string sound cleanly?

We'll need to know some details about anything you might have changed. If you haven't change anything then you can test the neck relief by fretting the first fret and around the tenth fret and seeing how much clearance you have between the string and the fret.

The other possible cause is a high fret around the fifth or sixth fret. You can check that by using a small straight edge placed over the fifth/sixth fret. A high fret will cause the straight edge to rock on the high fret. If you can supply more info by ruling out these possible problems or identifying which is causing the problem. We can then help you decide what action to take.

High fret or frets, wrong neck relief, neck angle or nut are the likely causes in that order. if none of them we can investigate further.

P1010383.jpg

P1010387.jpg

those are the best i could do....shows what im talking about.

Did you put the rest of the strings on?

Just having one string on, the neck will be bowed back. It's expecting the tension of all the strings to straighten it out. That's how it works.

If you changed the gauge of the strings or the tuning, the neck will need to be adjusted to compensate for the different string tension.

Did you put the rest of the strings on?

Just having one string on, the neck will be bowed back. It's expecting the tension of all the strings to straighten it out. That's how it works.

If you changed the gauge of the strings or the tuning, the neck will need to be adjusted to compensate for the different string tension.
Thats true to a point but choking strings right up to the fifth fret and only on two strings flags a few specific possibilities.

JPXTom, can you answer some of my original questions to give us a bit more of a clue? That picture isn't exactly revealing but you may have an issue with the neck joint. If that were the problem I'd expect it to manifest a little differently. Definitely more info needed. A picture of the neck joint from a little further away may be a little more helpful, but definitely answer as many of original questions as you can.

Judging from the pictures it looks like the neck pulled away from the bolts that hold it on.

Judging from the pictures it looks like the neck pulled away from the bolts that hold it on.

Maybe, but how is that going to cause the strings to choke on frets one through five? Think about it. The reverse would be true, the action would become higher if not unplayable.:) If the neck joint is loose its going to pull the neck forward not back. We need more info.

to respond to a few questions:

-the 5th and 6th fret are level to one another...used a balance, they were fine.
-the pics dont show this, but when looking down the guitar...(from front of body down the pickups/neck) the right side of the neck(high e side) is signifigantly higher than the other side.
-i did only put on 2 strings...i'll put them all on and see if stuff changes.
-same string gauge.. .10
-not a set neck
-open string sounds fine.

to respond to a few questions:

-the 5th and 6th fret are level to one another...used a balance, they were fine.
-the pics dont show this, but when looking down the guitar...(from front of body down the pickups/neck) the right side of the neck(high e side) is signifigantly higher than the other side.
-i did only put on 2 strings...i'll put them all on and see if stuff changes.
-same string gauge.. .10
-not a set neck
-open string sounds fine.
Check neck screws/bolts are tight. String up with all strings and up to pitch. Report back. In that order.:rolleyes:

alright...done.

well..theres only 2 problems now..well more so, one. the 5th fret still isnt working on my high e. everything else is still pretty alright..the 3 is a bit..eh...but the 5 is still not a note hah.

Just a guess.......When you took the old strings off, the tension from the truss rod MAY have pulled the fret board loose from the neck. If this IS the case, remove the neck and loosen the truss rod. Get some glue to seep down into the separation and get a bunch of rubber bands to use as a clamp and hold it together. If use use real clamps, use something in between them and the neck/fretboard.

What you are describing sounds a lot like you have a high fret (likely the 6th or 7th) which is preventing the string from making contact with the 5th fret. A truss rod adjustment might cure it. More likely you need a "fret leveling," this consists of filing the frets level then recrowning them. Not recomended as a diy project. A good tech can easily make this repair in an afternoon and it's a lot cheaper than replacing a neck. Naturally, after any repair(s) to a guitar, a set up should follow. It's times like this that make me wish I could see, and play your guitar, it's so much easier to diagnose a problem when the guitar is "in hand."

Just a guess.......When you took the old strings off, the tension from the truss rod MAY have pulled the fret board loose from the neck. If this IS the case, remove the neck and loosen the truss rod. Get some glue to seep down into the separation and get a bunch of rubber bands to use as a clamp and hold it together. If use use real clamps, use something in between them and the neck/fretboard.
Do NOT even attempt this.

From the sounds of it you have a high fret. Most likely the seventh, possibly the sixth or eight. If the neck is secured in the pocket you need to check again for high frets with a straight edge. Use a small steel rule or even a credit card placed over the suspected high fret and see if it rocks. Move along and check each fret. If you suspect one, check to see if it is correctly seated. If it has risen you can tell by a small gap between the fretboard and bottom of the fret. If not the fret needs dressing and without the right tools and a bit of experience you are best getting it done. Either way you may be best getting it to a decent tech to check it. He should be able to identify the problem and advise on cost.

Either way you may be best getting it to a decent tech to check it. He should be able to identify the problem and advise on cost.

This is REALLY the best option. Have a luthier/tech look at it. Unless you have some experience working on or building guitars, have someone look at it first. For some reason, I don't see, just from restringing, getting a high fret or two. Particularly that close to the body. When the string tension is removed from the neck, It will bow back away from the strings. That part close to the body won't bow back at all. It is at the end of the tension rod and mounted to the body. That's why I was thinking that maybe the truss rod may have popped loose the fret board if there was a lot of tension on it. IF thats the case and you have never worked on or build a guitar, take it to someone that knows.

edit: Since you are asking about what the problem is, what muttley600 said is right, don't do it. What I suggested really is for someone that has built and/or repairs guitars before.

Last edited:
This is REALLY the best option. Have a luthier/tech look at it. Unless you have some experience working on or building guitars, have someone look at it first. For some reason, I don't see, just from restringing, getting a high fret or two. Particularly that close to the body. When the string tension is removed from the neck, It will bow back away from the strings. That part close to the body won't bow back at all. It is at the end of the tension rod and mounted to the body. That's why I was thinking that maybe the truss rod may have popped loose the fret board if there was a lot of tension on it. IF thats the case and you have never worked on or build a guitar, take it to someone that knows.

edit: Since you are asking about what the problem is, what muttley600 said is right, don't do it. What I suggested really is for someone that has built and/or repairs guitars before.

yeahh..i havent haha. alright..idk of any guitar techs around here..specifically, but i'll try to find one

Back