guitar link UCG102 for recording with mics etc. ?

papusnance

my computer's sound card seriosly sucks, it leaves wierd noises in my recordings and gets overloaded when the volume of what i am recording is too high.. which ends uo turning my recording sounding like an endless "prrrrhhp" sound....

SO I GUESS I NEED AN INTERFACE

i saw the cheapest one i can get is the "guitar link UCG102" from behringer.
But apparently it's meant be used from guitar directly to the interface (not miking the amp)
I want to know if it can be used by connecting the microphone into the guitar slut, and obviosly miking the amp (i want to get the amp's sound)

Can I do this? Does it resist the amount of volume & frequencies ?

PS:
i'm also thinking about using it to record vocals , and record drums (mics > mixer > guitar link > computer)

Last edited:
First, you don't get a "box" that will "resist the amount of volume". You turn the volume down to a level that is acceptable to the "box".

While you probably could plug a mic into the Behringer UCG102, the results would probably not be that great.

Allow me to suggest this unit: Buy Alesis MultiMix 4 USB Compact Mixer | Unpowered Mixers | Musician's Friend

I just bought one and I am quite pleased with it. You can plug two mics into it, or you can plug a guitar directly into one channel. And at $65.99 it is one of the more economical solutions I have seen.

hmm looks cool, but i don't have a mixer yet so I'm thinking of a cheaper interface (cause i wanna buy a mixer too, im in a low budget) , you know.. the basics..
so i have been researching a little bit and I found the UCA202 (behringer)
what do you think about the UCA202 from behringer ?

i tried to post a link , but im not allowed until y post 5 times in the forum :mad:
so google it i guess

The UCA202 is a good unit; unfortunately it doesn't have any preamps, which would be needed in order to use a mic. So, you would also need to purchase either a stand-alone preamp or a mixer.

And once you add in the cost of those items, you're getting close to the same price as the Alesis MultiMix that I previously mentioned. And it was that cost that drove me to choose the MultiMix last week to use as a second interface with my laptop.

Basically, your signal chain will be: mic > preamp > interface > computer. The MultiMix provides both two preamps and an interface.

But keep on researching, with the signal chain I mentioned in mind, and you'll find quite a number of choices...

Oh ok, so i need a preamp .. so i guess the built-in soundcard from my computer has some sort of preamp. Anyway im not going to use my built-in soundcard.. it sucks.

I have a question that might seem ignorant, im not that familiar with this topics but here we go

I ordered the UCA202 already, so meanwhile i manage to get a mixer can i use a guitar amp as a preamp ?
I mean like this signal chain: Mic > Amp(guitar input) - (phones output) > interface > computer

Would this work ?
is it dangerous for my interface or any other device ?

Thanx !

Back