GUitar humming... hmmmm...

Promythia

Hello there, I just bought a crappy off brand classical guitar, and the damn pick-up keeps humming. It's a Fishman Classic 4 pick-up preamp thing. The humming goes away when I touch the guitar output jack, but that won't work for obvious reasons. I'm thinking something isn't grouded correctly, any suggestions? Thanks a mil!

If you don't find the ground problem, try turning your monitor, or TV set off. Seriously, cathode rays make your geetar buzz too. :D

I think I'm going to have to, I'm waiting to record this song but I can't because of the damn humming. Also, I'm ignorant when it comes to grounding things, but if someone could explain how to to me, I could probably do it. Thanks!

I would make sure your using an instrument cable and that it's good. Using a speaker cable that is not shielded will cause noise.

For grounding in a hollowbody wood guitar, I have no idea. Generally, the ground or shield connects to the negative terminal. Try checking the negative terminals in the guitar (this might mean taking some stuff apart). Hope this helps.

It's definetly the wiring, I've tried a few different cords and the humming goes away when you touch the metal part of 1/4" output jack. I'll take it apart. Am I going to most likely have to resolder (however you spell that) some connections? Thanks!

Also, what do you mean by negative terminals? Keep in mind I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electronics, but if someone can give me a general idea, I can figure it out. Thanks!

Last edited:
Promythia said:
It's definetly the wiring, I've tried a few different cords and the humming goes away when you touch the metal part of 1/4" output jack. I'll take it apart. Am I going to most likely have to resolder (however you spell that) some connections? Thanks!

Also, what do you mean by negative terminals? Keep in mind I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electronics, but if someone can give me a general idea, I can figure it out. Thanks!

In a passive (no battery) rig, negative = shield.

Considering its a "crappy off brand" and that the pickups are active, it could just be that its a bad wiring job or just the pickup itself (especially if it's single coil). I would suggest taking it to your local music store to see what they suggest. I know you can get guitars rewired where I live for arond 30 dollars. If your music store is decent, they might even do some tests to isolate the problem. I don't think its really worth it to take it apart and mess with soldering it before you have it looked at professionally.

Back