Guitar FX: Which ones belong in the amp's FX loop...

Zaphod B

Raccoons-Be-Gone, Inc.
....and which ones should be out front?

I'm thinking that overdrives, boosters, wahs, compessors and EQs should be out front, whereas reverb and delay might be better suited in the amp's FX loop. Does that seem right? How about LFOs (chorus, phaser, flanger, etc.)?

yeah, overdrives and boosters should go in front to drive the input of the amp.
time based effects of course go last in your effect chain, but placing them in front of the amp or in the fx loop might give you a slightly different sound.

I'm pretty sure eq can go anywhere.

take my advice with a grain of salt though...

Thanks, Kingofpain.

The reason I even started thinking about it is because I'm putting together a rack-mount amplifier setup. Since the preamp and amplifier are separate units, I can insert any line level FX that I desire between the two. I particularly want to buy an analog reverb for this setup and it seems like the most logical place for it is in the loop.

Thanks, Kingofpain.

The reason I even started thinking about it is because I'm putting together a rack-mount amplifier setup. Since the preamp and amplifier are separate units, I can insert any line level FX that I desire between the two. I particularly want to buy an analog reverb for this setup and it seems like the most logical place for it is in the loop.

cool!

i would definitely place the LFO and time based effects in between the pre amp and power amp in a live situation.

and again take my advice with a grain of salt...

here's a link that explains quite a few things about guitar amps: http://www.amptone.com/toneprinciples.htm

it discusses effects, placement, and how placement effects your tone. I know it's a bit of a read but it definitely gives some insight.

good luck!

Thanks, I'll have a close read later! :)

Which preamp and power amp will you be using?

Ocnor, I'll have an Egnater M4 preamp (which contains four dual-channel modules) and a Randall RT2/50 power amp.

Ocnor, I'll have an Egnater M4 preamp (which contains four dual-channel modules) and a Randall RT2/50 power amp.

In that case I'd run a multi-effect like a T.C. Electronic G-Major between the two and use a midi controller for channel/FX switching.

In that case I'd run a multi-effect like a T.C. Electronic G-Major between the two and use a midi controller for channel/FX switching.

I'm actually leaning towards a couple of Eventide boxes along with an analog spring reverb. I've read conflicting opinions on the G-Major.

MIDI controller is a must for sure.

Back