Guitar FX chain...

killmachine

So I've scraped my old crappy processor, gone the pedal route.

I'm trying to decide what to put where in the chain. This is what I'm running

Rat disto pedal
phaser
flanger
delay
chorus
wah

rack mount: tuner, sonic max, compressor

Now I know that one thing affects the other so the first would affect the next and so on. The main thing I'm thinking about is where to incorperate my comp and sonic max. From my recording I would say put the comp and sonic max and the start.

But then thinking about it, all that distorted and effected guitar would actually not be compressed or sonic maxed, it would be affected before entering those components..

BLAHHHH!!!!! i should know this been out of practice

I would suggest putting the compressor first, and the sonic maximizer back in its box.

i know this isnt what u want to hear but have you ever just tried your amp a chord and your guitar? every pedal i have ever used just sucked the tone away from my rig. this all assuming that you have a good tube amp which u can probably afford if u saved your money on all the other stuff.

i know there are effect boxes that u might need every now and then like a flanger or echo but sonic maximizers, compressors and even the distortion box (except for certain gainy things) you dont really need if you have a quality tube sound.

ok, theres my rant. ignore if u like. u probably will lol

Rickson Gracie said:
i know this isnt what u want to hear but have you ever just tried your amp a chord and your guitar? every pedal i have ever used just sucked the tone away from my rig. this all assuming that you have a good tube amp which u can probably afford if u saved your money on all the other stuff.

i know there are effect boxes that u might need every now and then like a flanger or echo but sonic maximizers, compressors and even the distortion box (except for certain gainy things) you dont really need if you have a quality tube sound.

ok, theres my rant. ignore if u like. u probably will lol

I second that. I do use a few pedals, but much of the time they're all turned off.

damn you guys are no fun,

i run a 64 bandmaster through a 4x12 marshall cab,,, it has no built in distortion.....it also has only bass and treble settings which really don't effect the tone a whole lot. So I NEED A DISTORTION PEDAL, all the modulation effects I use a lot, not a whole but here and there. The sonic max comes into play more as an EQ type then anything. It really helps out pushing that old amp. I like the comp because it helps keep things undercontrol so to speak.

We play mathy metal/jazz experimental type stuff (take this literally, i'm dead serious). Hence the effects, my other guitar player only uses a wah, delay, and distro. He's leaves the effects to me.

I think upon futher review I will plug directly into the disto, then mod effects, delay, wah, comp, sonic max,...

DIG........

killmachine said:

Rat disto pedal
phaser
flanger
delay
chorus
wah

Now I know that one thing affects the other so the first would affect the next and so on. The main thing I'm thinking about is where to incorperate my comp and sonic max. From my recording I would say put the comp and sonic max and the start.

But then thinking about it, all that distorted and effected guitar would actually not be compressed or sonic maxed, it would be affected before entering those components..

BLAHHHH!!!!! i should know this been out of practice

My 2 cents-

This is how I would set it up.

Rat > Delay > Chorus > Flange > Phase > (not sure about the wah, I don't use one)

I would put the comp. before the Sonic Maximizer.

yeah thats what i was thinking thanks.... I should pry get an amp that's more suited so to be speak to the style, but I love the thing and they don't make em like that anymore. Besides it's been in the family since 1964 so it's sort of and heirloom or somthing

killmachine said:

Rat disto pedal
phaser
flanger
delay
chorus
wah

Just buy quality pedals and you won't get tone suck, I use 9 pedals and noone would be able to tell the difference.

anyhow, I have and use everything you've listed. (except the sonic max, I agree that you should reconsider that one.:) )

I'm not sure how well you'd get that rack compressor in the mix but for me:

compressor-->Wah-->Rat disto pedal-->Phaser-->Chorus-->Flanger-->Delay

The tuner can go anywhere but I keep mine up front after the wah.

personally, i would stick all the "clean" effects near the beginning of your chain - the delay/chorus/flanger/phaser in whatever order you want...then i would throw the wah in there, and the distortion last. i don't know about anyone else here, but i've found that wah pedals often sound like total shit when they come after the distortion.

then i would run things into the rack, going thru the tuner, compressor, and then the sonic maximizer. i wouldn't put the compressor before ANY of the pedals, because then you're gonna be compressing the signal off of the amp, but not that of the pedals, which by guessing i'm gonna say would sound all fucked up, but you never know till you try. i would also put the maximizer after the compress, or else everything that you just "maximized" would be getting squished by the comp, giving you really no reason to have the maximizer in there.

comp>wah>distortion>mod fx (flangers phasers, etc)>delays reverbs, etc>amp

sonic maximiser goes back in the box.

if you put distortion last whenever you have say reverb and distortion on you will be distorting the reverb... and that sounds shit. distortion comes at the start of the chain, or just after comp. wah can go almost anywhere

See I'm glad I asked just to get opinions.......

what's the matter nobody like the Sonic Max..... It really helped out when I added that in the mix of things. I say though I did just scrap my processor which could have been part of the problem so I may not end up using it when I get my stuff together. I also only use it very subtly just to help out because my EQ section consists of Bass and Treble.

According to Steve Morse, any time you add an effect pedal, you add insertion loss. You lose something. The only way to make sure you're not, is to disconnect the power supply, be it battery or wall wart, and see if the signal still goes through the pedal. If it doesn't, you have insertion loss.That's from Steve Morse for what it's worth...your milage may vary.

J.P.

yeah that's a good point to consider, as long as using long cables. I used to have a 30' cable running from my head to my cab which stacked underneith (why because it was around and my other cable broke), then one day I bought a 2' speaker cable and bang a bit more powere

Back