Guitar Feedback Problem

Elisa

I have a Marshal 15RCD amp (I think it's 15 watts)and a DOD FX 86B Death Metal Distortion pedal. When I crank up my amp with (or without) the distortion pedal, I get this horrible feedback when I'm not playing any notes (guitar is silent). I've tried standing away from the amp. I've disconnected the distortion pedal. I've fiddled with the volume knobs. Everything I've tried can't seem to get rid of the feedback when I crank up the amp.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the feedback problem?

Sincerly,

Elisa

What kind of guitar do you have and more importantly what kind of pickups? To me what it sounds like is your pickups are going microphonic... I think that's the term. I had a friend who's guitar used to do this - it was a screech rather than sounding like feedback though... is this what it is happening? Not much you can do... I believe dipping your the coils of your pickup in wax and letting the wax dry around the coils will stop it... but the easier solution is just to go out and buy a better pickup that won't have this problem... if indeed this is the problem.

Check the battery on your stomp box. That will do it every time.

-oh, i just saw you disconnected it. That thing doesn't have tubes in it does it? If it does, I've had tubes that whacked out my amp when they were slow blowing. Have you tried running another guitar through the amp, that would be a good test to see if its the amp or your guitar.

Try touching the pickup in different ways to see if you can stop or change the feedback. If you can it may be touching the body in a certain way or the way it is mounted may be causeing it. If the coil is microphonic, then indeed it will have to be potted in wax.

Wow!!! Thanks for your replies. I'll try all your suggestions tomorrow when I get a chance to crank up my amp.

I have an EVH Wolfgang special guitar. I paid $800 for it brand new from the store (did I pay too much?). According to the operating guide it has two Humbucking pick-ups, custom-wound to Edward's specification for optimal output and tonal response. According to the guide, the pick-ups have undergone a two-step wax dipping process that (in theory) provide ultr-low noise operation and resistance to microphonic feedback. The pick-ups are mounted directly to the body, which are supposed to reduce feedback at high volume levels, but it ain't doing that. I haven't tried another guitar on my amp, but I will. I also plan to try another amp to see if the feedback source is coming from the Marsahl amp I'm using. I'll let you know how it goes.

Once again thanks for all your responses and keep them coming.

Elisa

rubber

EVH guitars have the pickups screwed directly to the body, which is bad for feedback. try to put rubber washers under the pickups if you can. It may raise the pickups up too much though.

I wanted to let you all know that I tried my EVH guitar on a Crate GT80 DSP amp (I think it's 80 watts... anyways one loud mother******)and I didn't experience the same feedback problems as with the Marshal. Although I did have some feedback problems when I used the distortion pedal, I was able to control it when I turned down the volume knob. Therefore, I now know the source of the feedback is either from my Marshal amp, or the distortion pedal. Although its not perfect, I can live with it. I just have to go out a purchase a better amp.

Thanks for replies in helping me trouble shoot my feedback problem.

Sincerley,

Elisa

In what kind of room do you have the amp. Is it maybe a small room with smooth surface walls. That will also affect the feedback.

I would also suggest that you not try to just get rid of the feedback, but rather try to control it. Feedback is a lovely thing and I have just the opposite problem. Where I stay I cannot get my amp up loud enough to get nice feedback, and that annoys me (maybe we should swop amps haha).

And I would not suggest using Metal Zones, I do not think they are very good. Rather use Boss overdrive pedals or the Turbo overdrive. I think the Metal sounding distortion pedals are compressed and high compression also causes horrible feedback. You could also try the Boss Extortion pedal. Tune the amps treble and Bass to get the death sound. I cant imagine that the problem lies with the Marshall.

Feedback

Too much gain at once........if you are putting an overdrive into a Marshall that is already distorted on it's own,you have way too much gain in the line.It is possible to get controlled feedback at a whispers volume,but usually you get alot of hiss and hum,not to mention feedback,if your pickups are the slightest bit microphonic.

Back