Guitar Factory Burns...

Roguetitan

Kalamazoo, Michigan

At approximately 3:15 this afternoon at the Gibson Guitar Company’s plant which produces such products the Thunderbird bass guitar and electric guitar went up in flames just minutes after the facility closed for routine maintenance. There were no injuries reported, however the complete inventory of an estimated 5500 Gibson Thunderbird bass guitars and 3200 Thunderbird 6 string electrics were lost in this fire that was caused by a carelessly abandoned cigarette butt. Gibson Guitar president Dave Berryman was quoted as saying, “This is a sad day for musicians everywhere. This loss could be the end.”
This former guitar giant has been hard hit by the recession and is being forced to filing for bankruptcy protection from it’s creditors. This fire was so detrimental to the company that this could be the end for the once giant guitar maker.
April Fu Lee

I had just visited a factory of thiers in Nashvillle last week...the one where the Banjos and mandolins are made...with the scratch they could have made off of one reissue les paul could pay a family for a year.

lawl if you wouldn't have included the april fu lee at the end i would of been tellin all my friends that Gibson was done. nice.

In a follow up story: "Gibson's QC department looked over the pile of ashen splinters and charred hardware, and determined that none of the damage was sufficient to prevent on-time shipping of the affected instruments."

In a follow up story: "Gibson's QC department looked over the pile of ashen splinters and charred hardware, and determined that none of the damage was sufficient to prevent on-time shipping of the affected instruments, which will now feature the word "Epiphone" on the headstocks."

Fixed.:eek::D

In a follow up story: "Gibson's QC department looked over the pile of ashen splinters and charred hardware, and determined that none of the damage was sufficient to prevent on-time shipping of the affected instruments."

Now they have something to compete wih the "road worn" Fenders.

:DI was thinking the same thing.
facepalm-2.gif

This is probably an ignorant comment, but does anyone actually buy or know anyone who would buy a "worn"guitar. I personally think its the stupidest fad in guitar manufacturing, but maybe that is just me.
James

This is probably an ignorant comment, but does anyone actually buy or know anyone who would buy a "worn"guitar. I personally think its the stupidest fad in guitar manufacturing, but maybe that is just me.
James

if I am going to dish out 15 bennys on a guitar it is going to be cherry not no worn out looking piece of shit.JMO

I never have understood how these idiots on these HGTV shows will paint a beautiful piece of wood furniture then sand it down to look distressed, these retards need their heads examined:mad:

if I am going to dish out 15 bennys on a guitar it is going to be cherry not no worn out looking piece of shit.JMO

I never have understood how these idiots on these HGTV shows will paint a beautiful piece of wood furniture then sand it down to look distressed, these retards need their heads examined:mad:

I never even thought about it in terms of HGTV, but your completely right. My mother is very into that kind of thing, I think she calls it "Shabby chic) or something.

I always love it when any Fender "Road Worn" or "Relic" Teles and Strats show up at the online retailers as "scratch and dent" items. The item description usually says something about "minor scratches" or "minor scuffs," and considering what it is, my first thought is always "WHERE?"

Matt

Last edited:
I guess the worn guitars make 13 year olds feel like they've "paid their dues." Instant artificially manufactured experience.

I've always wanted a guitar made from ash as well as something in a nice charcoal black - something hot, really smokin'.
Obviously Gibson aren't as matchless as they'd have us believe.
I'd put it down to the incendiary new p/ups or the lightning feathers that often accompany the thunderbirds - either that or Brains forgot to do the F.A.B. Scott thing & the place was hit by a missile from TB1.

Back