Guitar effects recording

darkagent71

Hello,
I need to use guitar effects when I record but I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the ux1 or if I should just buy one of the handheld line 6 pod devices and plug into that and then directly into my mixer? I know the ux1 is dedicated to recording but I was wondering if the sound would be worse with the other device. The reason I ask is I also need a live sound device too

The thing is...

It's all about getting the sound you want. So if you can get the sound you want from the Line 6 then you are all set. Try out equipment at your local music store and decide from that.

there are so many different effect pedals/boards available that indeed...what arcadeko said.

i still ove my boss gt 10 afte 2/3 years..it's still doing everything for me. but that's because i love digital.
if you love the analoge sound that will not be your thing

you local music store..that's wher you should be with your guitar.

there are so many different effect pedals/boards available that indeed...what arcadeko said.

i still ove my boss gt 10 afte 2/3 years..it's still doing everything for me. but that's because i love digital.
if you love the analoge sound that will not be your thing

you local music store..that's wher you should be with your guitar.

Thanks I'm hoping I find something that immitates amps and effects. Thats what i need. I'll probably go by guitar center sometime soon

Hello,
I need to use guitar effects when I record but I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the ux1 or if I should just buy one of the handheld line 6 pod devices and plug into that and then directly into my mixer? I know the ux1 is dedicated to recording but I was wondering if the sound would be worse with the other device. The reason I ask is I also need a live sound device too

There's all kinds of "boxes" that do all kinds of things...but I'm not clear on what you are really asking.

If you already have FX pedals that you use while playing...yes, you could record with them...is that what you are asking?
What exactly do you mean by "I need to use guitar effects when I record"...?

Also...what kind a FX are you talking about? It could make a difference in what/how you use for recording.

There's all kinds of "boxes" that do all kinds of things...but I'm not clear on what you are really asking.

If you already have FX pedals that you use while playing...yes, you could record with them...is that what you are asking?
What exactly do you mean by "I need to use guitar effects when I record"...?

Also...what kind a FX are you talking about? It could make a difference in what/how you use for recording.

Well for instance I really like the ux1. Its got amps, effects, and a few other things. (pod farm is good) but I cant get that because I need something that is not usb so I can use it for live performance too. Right now I have 4 stompboxes but I hardly use them because I don't want too much distortion (2 distortion pedals), my loop pedal is the most used because it is a necessity for what I do, and I have a chorus pedal which i like the most. All of them are boss except for one of the distortion which I got from a friend for free (cant remember the brand) but I'm looking for more of a multi-effects pedal (single device) that sounds good enough to be used live and in studio for recording that is more than just effects but contains different tones too (amps).

I would go for the UX1 if all you want is to plug your guitar to the pc and start recording with some cool effects. Otherwise, I would go for the pedals as I don't think UX1 is a solution for live performance.

Digitech RP series, Boss ME series, Zoom G series, Line6 pods, Behringer Vamps, Roland virtual guitar expensive stuff, some 'modelling' amps with dedicated recording out jacks (Peavey Vyper is the one I used)... look at any online music catalog like musiciansfriend, zzounds, sweetwater, AMS, samash etc etc and you will see loads of them - pretty much the same manufacturers and products and prices over and over again it gives a pretty good idea of what's out there.

Common things to most new guitar multieffects pedals are amp simulation/cab emulation for direct recording and USB out are the norm nowadays. Only the absolute bottom end of multieffects don't have USB out - and I don't know of any made anymore except the Boss ones that don't use amp sims instead of just basic effect settings for dirty sounds (think "distortion"+ "4x12" versus "Peavey 5150" or "Dual Rectifier" as examples - kind of annoying actually).

If you don't care and just go with an audio line, good for you, you might save 50 bucks but you have to deal with line levels and soundcard 1/8" 'mic' jack inputs, stuff that makes for poopy quality if you aren't careful.

A multieffect pedal that works live but can also be plugged in direct for recording sounds like what you are after and there are loads and loads of options for them these days - season to taste I guess, but I can't stand the digitech RP distortion sounds but like the rest of the effects, don't like the Line6 gimmickyness of too many amp sims (about a handful of which are actually useful), don't trust Behringer endurance for a live pedal, find zoom to sound good, but pretty non-intuitive interface for programming, and Boss, while sounding top notch, is pretty bare bones no-frills - they all have their ups and downs but all of them have more ups than downs IMO and I have never met a multieffect pedal that I didn't like at least something about.

As a personal miff with Guitar Center I want to point out that their role in things is to get rid of what they have in that store at that time, like a car dealer. You won't always be shown all the options, some brands they do not carry at all and act as if they don't exist, while others they push and push like they get some kind of incentive program from the company. Going to a guitar center to shop around is like going to a car dealership - you either know what you want or be prepared to get a sales pitch and a line of BS just to sell you something. My advice is to check out online gear catalogs to see all the options, then hit the music stores to try out what you are curious about - not the other way around.

Digitech RP series, Boss ME series, Zoom G series, Line6 pods, Behringer Vamps, Roland virtual guitar expensive stuff, some 'modelling' amps with dedicated recording out jacks (Peavey Vyper is the one I used)... look at any online music catalog like musiciansfriend, zzounds, sweetwater, AMS, samash etc etc and you will see loads of them - pretty much the same manufacturers and products and prices over and over again it gives a pretty good idea of what's out there.

Common things to most new guitar multieffects pedals are amp simulation/cab emulation for direct recording and USB out are the norm nowadays. Only the absolute bottom end of multieffects don't have USB out - and I don't know of any made anymore except the Boss ones that don't use amp sims instead of just basic effect settings for dirty sounds (think "distortion"+ "4x12" versus "Peavey 5150" or "Dual Rectifier" as examples - kind of annoying actually).

If you don't care and just go with an audio line, good for you, you might save 50 bucks but you have to deal with line levels and soundcard 1/8" 'mic' jack inputs, stuff that makes for poopy quality if you aren't careful.

A multieffect pedal that works live but can also be plugged in direct for recording sounds like what you are after and there are loads and loads of options for them these days - season to taste I guess, but I can't stand the digitech RP distortion sounds but like the rest of the effects, don't like the Line6 gimmickyness of too many amp sims (about a handful of which are actually useful), don't trust Behringer endurance for a live pedal, find zoom to sound good, but pretty non-intuitive interface for programming, and Boss, while sounding top notch, is pretty bare bones no-frills - they all have their ups and downs but all of them have more ups than downs IMO and I have never met a multieffect pedal that I didn't like at least something about.

As a personal miff with Guitar Center I want to point out that their role in things is to get rid of what they have in that store at that time, like a car dealer. You won't always be shown all the options, some brands they do not carry at all and act as if they don't exist, while others they push and push like they get some kind of incentive program from the company. Going to a guitar center to shop around is like going to a car dealership - you either know what you want or be prepared to get a sales pitch and a line of BS just to sell you something. My advice is to check out online gear catalogs to see all the options, then hit the music stores to try out what you are curious about - not the other way around.

Believe me I know that GC tries to get rid of what they got. I am leaning towards behringer vamp 2 since i found one for like 45 bucks from GC and I had been leaning toward that or a pod b4. Will V amp sound good enough for recording?

PS I probably will go direct into my soundboard which is going via fx send into my M-audio 2496 (Audiophile)

I'm a live guy so i can only speak from that experience. When i do record, i will use certain effects like i always do, like a delay that you always use in a part of a song and especially wah. However, adding something like reverb should always be done after the fact. I find that i use a heaping helpful of reverb live, but it's not so good for recording. That goes for drums and vocals as well. It's a feel thing, but also experience.

I'm a live guy so i can only speak from that experience. When i do record, i will use certain effects like i always do, like a delay that you always use in a part of a song and especially wah. However, adding something like reverb should always be done after the fact. I find that i use a heaping helpful of reverb live, but it's not so good for recording. That goes for drums and vocals as well. It's a feel thing, but also experience.

If I don't have amps built into my pedal I will probably record my amp via mic and get natural reverb. But I know what you mean

If I don't have amps built into my pedal I will probably record my amp via mic and get natural reverb. But I know what you mean

What's "natural reverb?" - be wary of recording effects, such as an amp spring reverb, unless you know exactly what you want.... once recorded it can't be undone. Same with this "recording with effects" things generally... once you print that to "tape" you're stuck with it.

Many people will use effects buses and VSTi effects so they can add to taste later, rather than print them onto the recording...

Just sayin'

What's "natural reverb?" - be wary of recording effects, such as an amp spring reverb, unless you know exactly what you want.... once recorded it can't be undone. Same with this "recording with effects" things generally... once you print that to "tape" you're stuck with it.

Many people will use effects buses and VSTi effects so they can add to taste later, rather than print them onto the recording...

Just sayin'

Natural reverb is the reverb that comes from the room you are playing or singing in. The louder the mic the farther you put it away from you the more reverb it picks up.

I am leaning towards behringer vamp 2 since i found one for like 45 bucks from GC and I had been leaning toward that or a pod b4. Will V amp sound good enough for recording?

not a bad sounding unit although a little dated now.
But it sounds better than a POD and a lot of folks have used PODs to get good sounds. I have both ....... I almnost always use the VAmp

Back