Guitar Cord

mjareo said:
and...<shudder> daisy chaining....

<bigger shudder>

It might work for climbing ropes, it doesn't work for audio equipment.

Yes, but it keeps my rigging rope from getting tangled up in the back of my car.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

lpdeluxe said:
Yeah, last summer I discovered Radio Shack velcro ties. Life is good.

One of the companies I work for a lot uses them as a color code. Orange is 10 feet, purple is 15 feet, green is 25, red is 50, and blue is 100. It sure makes sorting through the cable drawer a lot easier.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Yes, but it keeps my rigging rope from getting tangled up in the back of my car.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
Oh absolutely - unless it is my rescue bag which I just spaghetti into there (you really don't want to mess around with uncoiling it in a spot) I like to daisy chain. I still remember a guy in college that used to be the sound man for a traveling singing group I was a part of standing up and trying to teach all the new guys about how they needed to daisy chain mic cables. Needless to say, that didn't last long - about 15 seconds for him to finish the sentence. ;)

Light said:
One of the companies I work for a lot uses them as a color code. Orange is 10 feet, purple is 15 feet, green is 25, red is 50, and blue is 100. It sure makes sorting through the cable drawer a lot easier.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
That makes a lot of sense - I've been a believer in velcro cable ties for a long time as well, but never used 'em to color code lengths. I like that.

Light said:
No, it doesn't. It makes it worse. There are only two acceptable ways to coil a cable: over/under and figure eight. With either one, you are relieve the stress of each wrap with the next wrap. Anything else and you are fucking your cable.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The point of over-undering is not to have any torsion (twisting tension) on the cable when it is stored, right? If you put a twist for every wrap (actually, it's removing the twist that the wrap puts into it) then the topological result is the same as if the cable were reeled onto a drum. How is that bad for the cable, if one is careful when unwrapping it?

I too wrap the cable in "Loops", ...but I always wrap them clockwise, and I always put a full clockwise turn in every loop which releaves the stress/tension that would other wise be applied by "Arm wrapping".

This is one correct way to wrap the cable.........if not, I guess the factories are doing it wrong when the put the cable on the spools. (All wire is applied to spools with a clockwise turning motion.)

I can't comment on the over/under method as I've not used it. :)

Rick

A/B'ing Monster cables....

I've not had a chance to do this yet, but I have done some pretty extensive testing of the George L's vs. a "Standard" cable.........I'm never going back to Standard cables again! :D

Rick

Back