Guitar Compressors/FX?

jay clarke

Hi

I am wondering what rackmounted unit would be good to improve my guitar recordings. Using Mesa Boogie head n cab micd with SM57 into external soundcard. Would it be a mic pre, are there any suggestions?

jay clarke said:
Hi

I am wondering what rackmounted unit would be good to improve my guitar recordings. Using Mesa Boogie head n cab micd with SM57 into external soundcard. Would it be a mic pre, are there any suggestions?

I'd say yes, go with a rackmounted unit.

I think a big fancy mic pre like that might be a little bit overkill for micing your amp to a soundcard at home, unless of course money is no object.
You could go with a DMP-3 and get a decent rackmounted effects unit and still be under $600...

The gold standard to me in terms of mic'ing guitar amps is the Great River MP-2NV or the ME-1NV for mic pres. For mics, I like the AEA R92 and the sE R1 Ribbon.

A pretty good standard for a home recordist is the Shure SM57 or the Audix i5 into the FMR RNP.

If I were going to go the cheap pre route, such as the M-Audio DMP3, then I'd probably go with the Audix i5 as the mic.

ozraves said:
The gold standard to me in terms of mic'ing guitar amps is the Great River MP-2NV or the ME-1NV for mic pres. For mics, I like the AEA R92 and the sE R1 Ribbon.

A pretty good standard for a home recordist is the Shure SM57 or the Audix i5 into the FMR RNP.

If I were going to go the cheap pre route, such as the M-Audio DMP3, then I'd probably go with the Audix i5 as the mic.

What guitar style are you speaking of here? Metal, rock, everything?

A preamp would make a difference, but so would a LDC to catch some room ambience, or some other dynamics (MD421, SM7, e609 etc) for different textures. Hell, even a 2nd SM57 in a different angle combined with the first will give you plenty of new options and sounds.

If you're dead set on the way you mic it, then yes, go for a preamp. IMO avalon would be overkill though.

I don't know.....

I don't know what your price range is, but the Presonus ADL-600 makes an sm57 sound amazing on guitar cabs. And it's 2 channels so you could use the 2nd 57 approach and get some killer sounds. of course in a perfect world a Royer R121 and either the ADL 600 or the less expensive AEA Ribbon pre would be amazing for what you want. If you're gonna spend VT-737 money then the R121 and the AEA Ribbon pre would be an awsome set up. 121's make guitar cabinets sound amazing, and the ribbon pre was made for bringing the best out of your ribbon mics. Just my $.02.... :D :D :D

Back