Guitar Center and bad mics

Luuke

I've heard that Guitar Center sells "left-over" Octavas that aren't quite as good as getting them from the source.
Do they typically do this with other mics?
I will be in the States (AZ) next week and want to pick up some mics, probably AT 4050 or 4033. Are these ok to purchase from GC?

GC and mics in Arizona

Luuke, it sounds to me that you going to be station at Luke
Air Base. Guitar Center at Metro Center in Phoenix. They a small sound room there in the Pro Audio section. I am in
Youngtown just a little northeast of the base. e-mail me when you get here and would be glad to help you out with all
music stores in the Valley of The Sun.
G-Max

Wow, G-Max. Thanks for the invite! It's nice to know that there are actually people still around willing to help out others. Yes, I think there is actually 3 Guitar Centers in the greater Phoenix area?
Do they have the setup to allow you to demo mics and headphones?

At the Guitar Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, the salesmen are real saints ! They will let you try every mike with every preamp and every guitar in the store ! In fact, they act like they WANT you to pull out everything so that they will have an excuse too play with it too. The main problem is the high level of background noise (everyone else is wanking away on Marshall Stacks !!.) So you can only get a vague idea of how a mike will really sound in a studio setting. Still, it is better than nothing. At least you could identify "bad" mikes.

Good Luck,
Rick

Luuke

Yes Luuke, I shop at the one at Metro Center it is the nearest one for me. They have some knowledgeable people
there. There is also 1 in Mesa but a very long drive and
Tempe I belive. However if you want High toys you need to
go a place called E.A.R Music. They have SSL, Neve boards,
Manley, and ProTools and more. So If you need any help just
e-mail me.

G-Man

Back