guitar cable splitter

ace516

does anyone know of a guitar cable splitter?

example,
1 in to go into 2 outs for 2 different guitar heads :o

Boss made the Multiple Jack J-5. I got one somewhere but don't use it anymore. It is not buffered because I opened it up and the circuit board consisted of the input jack and some traces to the output jacks.
You could get a simple Y connector at any RadioShack for $2. I have done this, and some will complain that its not buffered, but I don't think there was any appreciable tone loss. Most guitarists wouldn't know if you slipped something in their signal chain anyways. Its all a mental thing IMO.

Someone will probably let you know a good buffered option if you really want one though.

Do the RadioShack thing before you waste the money.

Try a stereo fx pedal. I used a stereo chorus for years to play through 2 amps, and it worked great!

Here's the "old school" trick for splitting a guitar to two amps... If either amp has two inputs on one chanel, plug the guitar directly into the amp (any efx between the guitar and amp will be heard through both amps) then use a second cable conected from input 2 on the first amp (add any efx pedals here, they wont affect the first amp) to the input of the second amp. Each amp can be set however you like without having any affect on the other, this works great if (for example) you want amp 1 to be clean and amp 2 to be dirty or one amp clean and one with efx. I've been using this method for years and (so far) never done any damage to any amps by it. Just be sure both amps are grounded and have matching polarity or you will get a lot of hum.

Here's the "old school" trick for splitting a guitar to two amps... If either amp has two inputs on one chanel, plug the guitar directly into the amp (any efx between the guitar and amp will be heard through both amps) then use a second cable conected from input 2 on the first amp (add any efx pedals here, they wont affect the first amp) to the input of the second amp. Each amp can be set however you like without having any affect on the other, this works great if (for example) you want amp 1 to be clean and amp 2 to be dirty or one amp clean and one with efx. I've been using this method for years and (so far) never done any damage to any amps by it. Just be sure both amps are grounded and have matching polarity or you will get a lot of hum.

Wow, Dani, a lightbulb just illuminated in my head! I have read of guitarist using that technique on older, 2-channel Fenders, but for some reason had trouble getting my head wrapped around it- I though I was missing something when I read about that technique, and doing it would somehow damage my amp- but I was never sure. Something about the way you worded it, and it makes perfect sense to me- there are only low-level signals at those jacks (coming from the guitar) so nothing will blow up.

Can I add something to it? If you have a stompbox tuner that stops the signal from going down-line when tuning, it could be a good on-off switch for the 2nd amp if put in-line between the two amps- a volume pedal would do the same thing and allow you to blend the level of amp 2 to amp 1.

Brilliant! Thanks!

in general, that's how all those massive backline stacks of Marshall were done too

My Marshall Superbass has 2 channels each with hi & lo so I plug into one of the ch1 inputs & run a short lead from the other Ch 1 input to the Ch 2 input - extra ooomph. Don't know if I'm killing it but it sounds good.
Sorry - not quite on topic - just amplifying a point.

Back