Guitar Cabinets

rapedbyape

Well, I'm building a cabinet and so far I've only got four of the sides done. Before I go any further I'd like some opinions on the differences between using castors/wheels and rubber feet. Does anyone know what (if any) differences they would make to the sound compared to using wheels. I would have thought they would cause the sound to reverberate through the floor, whereas wheels wouldn't, but I really have no idea. I can get hold of a dolly to cart the thing about when it's done, so I'm not too concerned about transportation difficulties with feet. I'm just curious about what effect wheels/feet have on the sound of cabinets, if anyone knows.

Thanks.

It's always good to de-couple the speaker cabinet from the floor. Not to mention that a cab with no rollers is a pain in the butt. you SAY you aren't worried about it now, but trust me you will wish you had them some day. I know cause I bought one without rollers and it ended sitting in a room with junk piled on it all because it was a pain to take anywhere.

H2H

spoonie g said:
i think a cab on the floor has better bass response.

Yes indeed. Sometimes problems with guitar tone being muddy can be helped by getting the cab off the floor, especially if you are micing from a distance. In gig situations, getting it off the floor can clean up the mix quite a bit by getting some of that junk out of the low end.

If you plan to move it more than once a year, get the casters. If you want to couple a bass cabinet to the floor, you can always turn it on it's side.

Ed

I have castors on my cabinet that I made and never take them out, although they can be easily pulled out.
As far as sound goes, I am used to this cabs sound and as to any difference who in the audience would even care.

Back