Guitar Cab "Wooshing" Sound

whirlwindRA

I'm still trying to get a good mic'd sound out of a cab. I'm happy with the distortion tone that the mic is picking up, for the most part. Whatever I record, there is a noticeable wooshing sound at about 2.3khz. This happens with any mic or placement I use (f5 or SM58), and it is audible slightly in the room but that was only after I listened to the recordings and started looking for the sound. It must be normal, since my amp settings don't really change it, and I heard something similar from my friend's amp too. But in the recordings, it sounds terrible. I linked to a raw recording of the sound, and one where I did -18db eq on the offending frequency. However, it just feels wrong to cut everything like that. I always read that you shouldn't always have to assume you need eq and stuff.

I'm wondering if this is a normal thing that will be covered up later in the mix, or if I need to play with mic positions even more. What do I need to do with this?

Raw audio

-18db EQ @ 2.3khz

Thanks

One thing I always do when I hear unexpected results on a track is I do a quick scratch mix to see if it's likely to be a problem in the final product. Some things just can't be heard, or can be safely EQd away...

Back