Guitar Cab Impulse Files

I've used the SIR1010 reverb and really come to appreciate the whole impulse thing. How would you use this with the SIR1010? All I have ever done with it is reverb....

Keiffer said:
I have gotten into making Guitar Cab Impulse Convolution files lately. I thought I'd make them available.

Here's the link: Keiffer Guitar Impulse Files

My Impulse files are Stereo

I have several cabs and speakers that I have recorded including V30, Greaanbacks, Govenor, Man-O-War and GS1275 speakers. Cabs include V4 4x12, Cobra 4x12, Mesa 2x12 and Splawn 4x12.

You'll need a convolution reverb plugin to use them something like Voxengo's Pristine Space. I use AFImpulse.

Hopefully you'll find one or two of use.

Cheers!
kp-

Can you recommend a tutorial site where one can learn about impulse files, what they are and how they can be used?

to get started with impulses just load a impulse file in sir or reaverb and route a track thru it. you can get impulse files from noisevault.

ggunn said:
Can you recommend a tutorial site where one can learn about impulse files, what they are and how they can be used?
I'm Keiffer... and thanks

I used Voxengo's Deconvolver.

It's very simple, run a Ramping Frequency thru an amp and record the output. Then use Deconvolver or equivalent to create the impulse. I used the output section of my 5150 as the amp. Deconvolver includes the ramping frequency.

Check Voxengo's Deconvolver Documentation.

Also, check Andy Sneap's Forum at UtlimateMetal.com. There's several very good Impulses there.

Sonixx said:
I'm Keiffer... and thanks

I used Voxengo's Deconvolver.

It's very simple, run a Ramping Frequency thru an amp and record the output. Then use Deconvolver or equivalent to create the impulse. I used the output section of my 5150 as the amp. Deconvolver includes the ramping frequency.

Check Voxengo's Deconvolver Documentation.

Also, check Andy Sneap's Forum at UtlimateMetal.com. There's several very good Impulses there.

Thanks, but can you get a bit more basic than that for me? Exactly what is an impulse file and what use is it?

ggunn said:
Thanks, but can you get a bit more basic than that for me? Exactly what is an impulse file and what use is it?

An impulse file is the sonic signature of a space or piece of gear. You generate an impulse by feeding a short sample through the gear or into the space and recording the resultant output. Then you basically subtract the original sound and you have the impulse.

Impulses are used with convolution plug-ins. The convolution plug-in actually merges or multiplies the impulse you select to a dry audio track, thereby imparting that sonic signature to the sound. Those are generally associated with reverb, because using an impulse response from a real space is so realistic sounding.
Naturally, this technology has spilled over into capturing impulses from vintage gear, micing guitar cabs, etc. It's pretty damn impressive.
So in the case of Sinixx's impulses, you record a dry DI from your guitar (using the pre-amp out of an amp, or whatever) and then use a convolution plugin with one of the mic'd cab impulses, and your DI track will sound like it was recorded with a mic in front of a cab instead.

There are lots of convolution plugins on the market these days. I use "Perfect Space" which is bundled with Sonar.

go to guitarampmodeling dot com and look under impulses. You can also find a load of impulses there. Can't post urls yet since I'm new here...

Back