• Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Gotta love those old Tube Screamers!

This is true. I bought mine in 81 and I never would have guessed that the resale value would increase the way it has. I also have a Behringer Vamp pro that I like more than most other multi-FX units.
Sorry about going off-topic
:cool:
<
waiting for flaming to begin > :D

Last edited:
And the same goes for non-pro versions. I find the V-Amp2 smokes the POD in almost every sound

Agreed! The reason I bought the V-Amp Pro was because of it output options. other than that I don't think there's any difference.

Anything made by Steve Carr...

Best practice/bedroom amp - Carr Mercury

Best pristine cleans with tremelo/vibrato - Carr Rambler

Best "put it on top of your stack and turn it to 11" - Carr El Moto

Carr amps do Fender and Marshall (and I can even get a hot, rectified sound out of my El Moto...even though that's not my thing). His stuff ain't cheap (even on Flea-bay), but there's a reason for it.

Fave amps

I'm currently in love with my Lab Series L5, which I bought a couple of months ago. I played an L9 back in the '70s, and had almost forgotten about those amps. Was really glad to find a Lab Series again.

And, I don't know if mentioning bass amps is allowed, but I traded a crappy little Marshall DFX50 (maybe not so crappy, just not my style) for an old Roland Studio Bass 100 in mint condition, straight across trade. Although I can't find out much about it, it really kicks. I believe I made out pretty well in that trade.

Voted in the poll months ago, but took a look at this thread today.

And I gotta stand up in defense of Peavey. I've owned three- Classic 30, Delta Blues 210, and a little practice amp I gave to my GF's daughter. They all gave me (and her) excellent service, never broke down, had good tone and power. The Fenders I now have, have better tone, but the Peaveys were just fine- if I hadn't gotten lucky on a trio of vintage Fender tube amps, I would probably still be playing thru Peaveys.

And the same goes for non-pro versions. I find the V-Amp2 smokes the POD in almost every sound
Due to all of the good reviews on this preamp
I am getting a V amp Bass pro for Christmas
Do you know anything about the bass models or they all about the same?:confused:

Voted in the poll months ago, but took a look at this thread today.

And I gotta stand up in defense of Peavey. I've owned three- Classic 30, Delta Blues 210, and a little practice amp I gave to my GF's daughter. They all gave me (and her) excellent service, never broke down, had good tone and power. The Fenders I now have, have better tone, but the Peaveys were just fine- if I hadn't gotten lucky on a trio of vintage Fender tube amps, I would probably still be playing thru Peaveys.

I have a Peavey Transtube 100 which I love its tone.
I use the Peavey S32 with 3 loaded racks full of Peavey power amps that drive Versa Array speakers which rock the house.

although Peavey would not be my first choice they do make very good equipment regardless of what the naysayers think.

I used to have a low opinion of Crate Amps until I bought the V33 and the V212B Cabinet which I found out also make the Ampeg and Black Heart stuff AKA Loud Technologies FYIIYDNK;).
:D

Porsche also makes VW, but I wouldn't say one is just as good as the other.;)

Crate makes NO professional grade gear. It is simply not it's target market. Although, I've seen some crate gear that gets by in a pinch, I've never heard any crate gear that I would call "good".

I use to use a Peavey VTM 60 stack before I discovered Boogie. I started using it when everyone else was using the JCM800, and everyone had the same damn tone. I wouldn't say the VTM was my favorite amp, but it was pretty good for a Peavey. Can be found relatively cheap on Ebay, these days. My Daughter uses a Peavey Bandit that I believe is 60 watts (I might be wrong). For what she is doing, it does the job, and doesn't sound god awful. I wouldn't use it in a professional situation, but it's fine for a young garage band situation. I also played some early gigs with a Peavey Classic twin 30, which was alright for what it was.

My fav is by far my old '61 Fender Tremolux, followed by my '65 Deluxe Reverb, and my good friends '62 Bassman. Twins are great but too heavy for an old fart. Some of the best I've heard include Kendrick, Rivera, an Matchless. I've never heard as much headroom as the Rivera and Matchless.

So I used to have a Mesa Triaxis. A little bit of me wishes I still had it. But my setup now gives me all I need. Pod XT and Peavey TubeFex into a Peavey Classic 50/50 into a Peavey 1X12 and 412MS. I know, lots of people don't like the "sterile" simulator pres. But I really like the sound I get out of the POD XT using the cab sim then going into my cabs. I don't like the sound straight to board though. I also have an Alesis Quadraverb GT and Behringer VAmp preamps I occassionaly use for certain sounds. I love the Leslie simulator in the Quad GT.

Added a silverface Champ to the herd. I now have three variations on the Champ, among my other amps:

64 transitional tolex Champ (basically a tweed in tolex)
76 silverface Champ (still the blackface circuit I think)
83 Super Champ

All sound quite different. Very basement manageable however.

I have used a 1973 Marshal Head and a Mesa Dual rec head and they both sound awesome but they don"t sound nearly as good as my recent DIY Guitar head....

DVC00361.jpg

It has a Fet/Tube hybrid Preamp , 15 band EQ with 3 Notch filters and High/low pass and Clip indicator, has an active DI , a couple speaker simulators and a couple Gain controlls and even a Low impedance Mic input and FX Loop , a 100w DMos Output stage....

It sounds freaking awesome, has a really High gain Nu-Metal sound but also does Clean pretty good ...I play a cheapo ESP guitar with DIY Active electronics built into it....

Cheers

Crate Rocks for Guitar and You can't really beat an Ampeg for Bass!

BUT! I know everyone has thier own opinion and is very entitled to it!

Julien
Recording Engineer @
The Electric Blu Studio
www.electricblustudio.com
Asheville, North Carolina, US of A

Last edited:
Back