Guilty of buying cheap mic stands.

Whenever possible I try to have the mic "pulling" the stand in the same direction as one of the legs, so that it counters the weight of the mic some. It works as long as someone doesn't bump the stand hard enough to topple it.

Adam P said:
Whenever possible I try to have the mic "pulling" the stand in the same direction as one of the legs, so that it counters the weight of the mic some. It works as long as someone doesn't bump the stand hard enough to topple it.

See, It try that and i works for the most part but even a small bump can send it over... how bout a bunji? LOL kinda cheese but it is getting bad.

hey, hang a plastic bag with some heavy stuff in it on the other end.....also, try not to extend the arm very far if possible

If you have a bar bell from more macho times thread one of the larger weigths onto the upright bar of the stand. The added weight resting on the tripod should make it much more stable

Gaffer tape on the legs.

A bit of a pain if you're moving them around a fair bit I suppose but it's what i do if I know a mics going to be up there for a while.

paddyponchero said:
If you have a bar bell from more macho times thread one of the larger weigths onto the upright bar of the stand. The added weight resting on the tripod should make it much more stable
But then I really won't be able to use them, even if I was randomly to decide I wanted to!!! :eek:

I simply got rid of my old tripod stands, and screwed the booms onto some round bottom straight stands. Over each straight stand I put a 20 lb. weight (I bought some barbell weights at a yard sale). There- try to tip *that* over. It also makes for a smaller footprint around a drum kit.-Richie

your way ahead of me cause i dont even have a real mike stand. I use a camera mounting braket thingthat just happens to fit the mike holder and clip it to my music stand. hahahaha total amateur But its a small mike and doesnt make a problem.

j

these have all been said......
......sandbags, tape, weights, anything with some sort of mass that you can use to counter the weight of the mic. try not to extend the boom too far.

and the better solution, get a better mic stand. for those really heavy mics, you've gotta get better quality stands. would you feel better with a $500 mic on a $20 stand or on a $100 stand? you could prolly invest in 2 decent stands and be pretty much "set" for a home project studio.

cheers,
wade

Whoever said they used a 20lb weight on a round base stand is right-on-- that works great.

I've also used a sack of potatoes to stabilize a tripod stand.

I finally broke down and bought one of these off Ebay for about $80 brand new:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MUPSMS7650

Let me tell you... it's a dream come true. The 7lb counterweight is almost too heavy. It is very easy to adjust and get exactly the mic placement you want. I use it for big heavy vocal condensers like an NTK and it's awesome. Slap a mic bar on this stand and it's a pleasure to put up some drum overheads.

It really is one of my best purchases. I should've bought one a couple years ago. It just removes all worries about expensive mics hitting the ground and it makes mic placement on drum overheads easy.

mrface2112 said:
and the better solution, get a better mic stand. for those really heavy mics, you've gotta get better quality stands. would you feel better with a $500 mic on a $20 stand or on a $100 stand? you could prolly invest in 2 decent stands and be pretty much "set" for a home project studio.

This is very true. Unfortunately, I compromise between portability for stage and stability for studio, so I got $50 stands and use weights when necessary :confused:

i don't gig with my good stands......or my good mics. i use the "6 for $100" onstage stands for gigs, and they only see 57's, 58's and maybe a 603 (or B1 if really needed) and other things that can be easily replaced.

i had an incident a couple summers ago where we were playing outdoors and the "stage" area flooded--my kick drum was sitting in 6 inches of standing water and my 603s went floating away. everything dried out and works fine, but it taught me a good lesson about gigging with good or irreplaceable gear. i mean, how many folks have had mics walk off after a gig (or heaven forbid, a guitar)?

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
how many folks have had mics walk off after a gig (or heaven forbid, a guitar

Some venues here video each concert for a small charge, can be very handy in finding out who's walked of with your mic or pedal!

I'm a big fan of Tama mic stands (if you can find em).... Heavey as all getout, but solid solid solid :D

Back