Guide to home recording - is it worth buying a book?!

Elyst

A quick question, as simple as that.

I saw a book the other day about home recording. Seemed to cover the basics and showed some interesting details.

I can get my recordings done fine but there's always room for improvement.
The costs 17 euros (24.4528 U.S. dollars).

Would it be worth it? I don't know all the contents of the book but the internet has more info for sure... yet it's scattered and hard to find exactly what you want.

Help me out solve this dilemma :p

thanks

What is the name of the book? I found the one I read "the musician's home recording handbook" to be interesting with lots of useful information, but not much in the way of practical everyday recording help/use.

I have The Recording Engineer's Handbook, The Mixing Engineers Handbook and a handful of others. None of them are useless, and they can actually save a lot of trial and error. Reading is good!

I've been struggling to find that book online but it's nearly impossible since I don't know the author or an accurate title. I think its called "guide to home recording" and it has a red cover. I can't find it but I've seen this once in the same store

Ilustrated Recording Handbook by Ronan Macdonald

Not sure it's a good book but my guess is the one I'm talking about is similar.

Actually I've been waiting for the new month so I could get more cash and then buy said book. Unfortunately it was sold out when I got there... the lady at the store said they should've gotten more during last weekend but they didn't... now she says it might come during this week... we shall see.

Even if I don't get to buy the book having you guys and the forum is already a great help by itself, being able to just come here and ask away and get so much replies so quickly is a reward by itself.
So thanks guys : )

Ps: for the good use of this thread maybe you could suggest here more good reading material, both online and in book form for future reference.

I think trial and error is more valuable than a book. You don't get recording experience from reading, but you get recording experience from recording.

I think trial and error is more valuable than a book. You don't get recording experience from reading
Hmmmmm, theoretically, perhaps. But I can't go along with this. When it comes down to it, there's more to reading than looking at and comprehending words. You're assimilating and being sparked and stimulated by more than half a century's intense experience and ideas that have been shown to work. You're having your appetite whetted by things that have contributed to making all manner of recordings. And as such, you are in the position of trying things out and continuing or rejecting. Reading is pretty much like having someone tell you one to one.
Of course trial and error is vitally important. These kind of conversations would be so much better served if it wasn't pitted as A vs B, rather, the two go hand in hand.

Guide to home recording - is it worth buying a book?!
Yes. It's worth buying a few.
Do a search because this has come up a few times recently and there are various books recommended. It's easy to say "trial and error is the best way" ~ but what if you want to do some reading about recording techniques in the loo or on a train/plane/bus ?

I determined to get that book... the only problem is that its still sold out. The good news is that its a book stand in the middle of a mall I go through everyday (because I can take a short cut through it) so I check the books everyday, some days more than once. So once I find that little red covered book I'll snatch it! I'll throw my golden pokeball and claim it to myself. lol

I determined to get that book... the only problem is that its still sold out. The good news is that its a book stand in the middle of a mall I go through everyday (because I can take a short cut through it) so I check the books everyday, some days more than once. So once I find that little red covered book I'll snatch it! I'll throw my golden pokeball and claim it to myself. lol

This book? Amazon.com: Used and New: Illustrated Home Recording Handbook

no, that's not the one I saw... though I once saw that one somewhere...

it has a red cover... damn me for not taking note of the author and proper title...

get a book man they will always introduce you to new information which will help you somehow. Exposing yourself to many different outlets is a good way to expand your knowledge on the subject

I have decided to buy the book... but its still sold out...
lets wait some more time... it might show up again.

Back