• Dynamic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I HAVE NO FU&^ing clue!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

ShakesTheClown

I posted this session in the Mp3 mixing clinic so refer to there for the complete setup and circumstances. But in a nutshell I had ONE mic on the whole drumkit for this recording. And I was floored at the results I got with it. Anyway here is one of the songs..

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35596

P.S. This is Country/Americana/Rockabilly/Retro music which is the sound he was looking for and I think the recording captured that.

Anyway i'll post what mic it was and placement after a day or so.

I'll guess condenser.....the cymbals sound too bright for a dynamic, unless you really went to town with some EQ. Anyways, that'll be my guess.

Mike

I'll guess condenser, placed as an overhead off-centre towards the snare side of the kit.

LMAO no shit good job Gidge is the winner its a Radio Shack PZM placed up near the wall celling joint in front of the kit. Nice on Gidge!

BUT after looking at the times on Gidges post and Wide Awakes post in the Mixing Clinic he also correctly guessed it but earlier.... Grats to both of you, you will be getting your strange white powder covered cookie in the mail soon@! ;-) GJ guys

SHAKES:

FOR FUCK SAKE !

GREAT JOB !!!!!

HAD TO BREAK OUT THE GRADO HEADPHONES.

Did you also engineer the song "I still DO" ?

warlock said:
OK, what the hell is a Radio Shack PZM microphone?

Keijo

It's a mic that they don't make anymore.
It was designed by Ron Wickersham (who has designed the most esoteric things around, like almost all the shit Alembic Makes = did designs for the Grateful Dead's PA systems, as well as designing the BAG END E.L.F. (Extreme Low Frequency) system-a PA that goes down to * 8 HZ! * The thing delivers Chest pounding low end that you can TALK OVER!

That must have been some damn good acid back then to make him come up with all of this crap.

The PZM picks up pressure changes, not necessarily "sound" as a regular microphone does.
The Microphone element is aimed at a metal plate (or whatever you have it mounted to; Crown used to sell an Acrylic "box" that the mic mounted in after you removed the plate.) and there is to be a 1mm gap between the element, and the plate.
It was patented by Crown.

I have several of them, and I've been using them for Overheads for my drumkit for years.
Guys kept going "How are you getting that Drumsound?", and I just point up!
I've got one mounted to the 8' tall ceiling directly over my drumthrone (Make sure it's mounted into a beam and is NOT going to come loose, because if that thing hit you in the head-it would kill you!)

Also, if you mount it to a piece of plywood, and then mount THAT to the ceiling, you'll get more bass response...needs to be at least 3' x 3' to make any real difference.

They will also work good in a kickdrum in a snap, and if you upgrade the power source, they will be one of the most kick ass mic's you can have for homerecording.
They can als obe great for vocals, because there's no room reflections.

I love them myself.

I've attached a .Gif

Tim

Attachments

• pzm2.gif
    pzm2.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 63
hehe Tim just posted even more then I know about the history of this mic, thanks for the info.

They are amazing mics I absolutely love um, I remember the first time I saw someone using one and I was like yeah thats gonna sound like shit but to my suprise it was quite the opposite.

SmellyFuzz ,

Yes I did "I Still Do" a friend and I got together to write and about 2 hours later we finished and were like lets demo this real quick. So I fired up PARIS and we layed down 2 guitar tracks, bass, my vocal and then when his daughter and wife came to pick him up we were like hey Elizabeth (daughter) come sing harmony on this real quick.. But the whole thing turned out pretty cool and we never bothered to redemo it cleaner, people seem to like the simplicity of it the way it is.. (5 Tracks) Its got a little too much bass for my taste but its cool... Thanks for the compliments...

Back