grumbling about software installs

chris in indy

practical person
I just bought a new keyboard this weekend, and it came with a disc with Cubase AI5. Although I'm not a Cubase fan, I thought I'd give it a look. I spent more than an hour to get the damn thing on my computer and running. I don't have my DAW computer network enabled, and the only way it seems to get the software registered is to have the computer you are going to use it on connected to the internet. Hell, now I have Adobe, Flash, Google Toolbar, Windows Update, and who knows what else on my DAW. What a pain in the rear.

Oh and yeah, Cubase is just as crappy as it ever was.

lol...Ive got two fresh install PCs to do today...a new quad core then my old DAW being turned into an internet PC with Win7...thats includes three hardrives and UAD cards...should be a fun afternoon :)

My Mac died a couple of weeks ago, bought a PC. Man, after 3 days with it, ordered a new Mac. Should have it up and running tomorrow, why the wait? I got a MaC Mini, like my last, but this time I went ahead and ordered a real Mac keyboard, mouse, and a new monitor, they'll be here tomorrow. I'll use the PC in the studio, the laptop I'd planned to use has a really noisy fan.

lol...Ive got two fresh install PCs to do today...a new quad core then my old DAW being turned into an internet PC with Win7...thats includes three hardrives and UAD cards...should be a fun afternoon :)

I wish you luck ............ and I'll tip a couple in your honor, because I know the pain you are about to embark into.

I know...just waiting on Fedex, got two PCs lying in bits just now....I hate staring at software loading..and Ive got drum libraries, hopefully the quad will make it a bit quicker :)

My Mac died a couple of weeks ago, bought a PC. Man, after 3 days with it, ordered a new Mac. Should have it up and running tomorrow, why the wait? I got a MaC Mini, like my last, but this time I went ahead and ordered a real Mac keyboard, mouse, and a new monitor, they'll be here tomorrow. I'll use the PC in the studio, the laptop I'd planned to use has a really noisy fan.

Cant get one with Macs..though Ive got a macbook pro I dont do much with it...going to get an imac soon but its for the wife, Ive no interest in learning another OP system

Cant get one with Macs..though Ive got a macbook pro I dont do much with it...going to get an imac soon but its for the wife, Ive no interest in learning another OP system

I never got on the Mac train. They were, and probably still are, swell computers, but I started on PCs during the CP/M days, and never had any reason to wander elsewhere.

Now days it still seems I can do anything on a PC, even my laptop. Heck, I use a laptop as an outboard effects processor, so I can run tons of soundfonts, and samples. I am starting to meander into the hardware sound module camp again. I just bought a MM6 so I could have the sound engine available as a midi output. (great sounding synth)

One of these days I'm going to go back to 64 bit. My first experience was less than enjoyable, but I may have evolved past the disappointments of losing so many of my old favorite apps.

:)

well its murder...even managed to cut a knuckle and spill a glass of wine across a synth, fuck me...I finally got Win7 working on my DAW and getting XP running on the internet PC...but shit...what a night

now the lengthy software installs..

oh yeah and several disc formats...I dont think Ill have much of my music projects left lol...might have to work a bit harder now

I feel pretty emo...

good news is compared to my five year old dual core the overclocked quad core is fucking dynamite :D

I just ran some software than can bring my older PC to its knees in around 8-10 instances....had 30 instances going before it let out a yelp and that was without adjusting the buffers...wouldve cost four times more for this kinda performance in a MAC..

lol @ MACs ;)

Speaking of wine, I had to update my PC a while back due to knocking a glass of red onto the old one, which was off to the side, whilst I was playing some game or other on the playstation.... Assassin's Creed 2, I think... whoops.

Expensive mistake, not to mention the frustration of loading all the programs again.

These days I back up all install files and working files onto a separate hard drive apart from regular Windows back ups on another drive.

Once bitten...

yeah I lose drives quite a bit, I back up nothing, I always reckon if i had to record it again Id do a better job :)

There is a lot of wine spilling from the members of this forum.

Losing a HDD sucks. I converted my system to a RAID array after I got a virus and had to reformat. It's a lot faster. But I also save most everything to a network server that has Raid 5 - using four drives so if one fails you can swap it out without losing any data.

I only have that cause of work though :) Wouldn't buy a $1000 Terra byte networked raid drive for home use.

Back