group recording on the internet

Brian Ferrell

My nephews and I would like to record songs together. Trouble is, I live in Pennsylvania, one nephew lives in Idaho and the other lives in Hawaii. I came up with the idea to record a song, piece by piece, over the internet by relaying what each of us records and adds to the song to the next person until the song is finished. Besides having the basic recording equipment, what would be the best way to accomplish this? Email attachments? Posting and downloading of MP3 files? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Brian

I would get one of the free online storage sites to exchange the mp3 files to get the song together, but when ready to mix, use the wav files......

or simple us post will do if you don't have fast net access and you don't want to send mp3s. just burn the wav to a 20 cent disc and send it in the mail.

It will also help if you all use the same program. That way you can both have updated arrangements and settings.

peace

OK, thanks, guys. Cyan, I did think of the mail route, but thought it would be too slow, plus, I don't think my nephews have burners yet. That's something we have to think of, though--- how much PC power do they have and how long will it take to download MP3 files. I don't have to worry about that too much. I have enuff memory and processing power for fairly quick downloads, but I don't know what they have or what they'll need yet. I guess we'll try going with posted MP3s and wave mixing as Gidge suggests and see what happens. Maybe I should suggest that they try some MP3 downloads first and see if they have what it takes and if they will be happy with the speed. One of them doesn't even have internet access yet so this is still very much in its dream stages.
Brian

Hmm. One of Logic Audio's recent updates was to add Rocket Network support. The update comes with a long and difficult to decypher patch message. Unless I have my secret decoder ring set wrong I think it's designed to do just what you described. You log onto virtual studios. some of which are public and you can set up private ones (for a fee no doubt). You can work in Logic off-line, then upload song updates to the virtual studio. It sounded like you could update MIDI and audio tracks. Other people can then download your updates make their own changes and upload them again. It sounded well thought out and has quite a few nice features to help coordinate multiple people working on the same song. I think it can even compress the audio for you so you don't have to upload huge files until you've got things mostly compelted.

The only drawback is you need Logic and its not an easy or cheap piece of software.

Thanks for your input, Kaydis. I tried the sites you supplied. It sounds like the best way I've heard yet, but as you mentioned, probably expensive. Since I'm the one coaxing my nephews into this, I don't want to scare them off with having to put a lot of money into it. I figured they could get away with buying an SBLive! Value soundcard, some cheap software like Cakewalk Home Studio 8, and maybe some MP3 encoding software. Also, I'm not too keen on having to buy Logic (they said Cubase and Pro Tools are also compatible) myself, since I only recently shelled out $300 for Sonar. They mentioned on one of those sites that some people work by emailing tracks to each other. That seems like that might be more secure than posting on an MP3 site. What are the drawbacks of emailing?

Brian

Well,

you guys can do it overdub style. I.e basically send a stereo mp3, let them add the parts they want and send you the new mp3.

Make sure that you both keep the original wav files though, so that when the whole song is finished, you can then send the wavs via U.S mail and arrange the song with those. Waves sound much better than mp3s.

Other than it being a bit cumbersome I can't see any real problems with using e-mail. There would be a learning curve while you all work out the details of using the tools and coordinating work, but after that it probably wouldn't be a big deal. If it were me I might look and see if I could get some kind of FTP site set up with my ISP, that might be a bit more interactive and easier to use (once its set up). Of course, I've never set up an FTP site so what do I know :)

If I send a stereo MP3 of say, a rhythm guitar track and a click track, does anyone foresee a problem of removing the click track later on? I'm afraid my lack of experience and knowledge of MP3 technology is showing through.
Brian

Rocket Network is actually compatible with several comercial programs- including some with free, though limited, demos like Cubasis. Even though it can serve many programs, people who want to work on the same project still need to use the same program.

I looked into Rocket and I think it has potential, but you still have to pay for the service of having your own project on it. Just like any webspace and bandwidth service, I suppose. The more memory/ bandwidth you need the more it costs.

It might be cheaper for your nephews to get inexpensive CD burners (christmas presents?). If they are musicians and use their computers for just about anything it would be well worth the expense. And mail isn't that slow, and probably more reliable than trying to up and down-load HUGE audio files.

Still, if mixing MP3 files seems to meet your needs, they don't take that long to download and I sure would like to hear how it turns out. ;)

Send the click track as a seperate file. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to get it out of the MP3. Just make sure you guys are all using recording software that can import MP3 files or convert them to wave files.

Better yet, don't worry about the click in the MP3, just have them send you ONLY the tracks they add. Then you can mix then as you like on your system with or without the click.

Good luck!
Chris

Wow, that tonos site is awesome! We are living in a great age! It looks like that will make things a whole lot easier for us. They even let you download a free 8 track recorder! I have only one more question frank_1.............. have you tried it and does it work as well as they say it does? (OK, TWO more questions).
Brian

P.S. Man, frank_1, it's really WEIRD that we have chosen the same avatar and have almost exactly the same amount of posts.

P.S. Man, frank_1, it's really WEIRD that we have chosen the same avatar and have almost exactly the same amount of posts.

What the hell!!! Hey man that is some freaky shit. we are now cousins.:eek:

Hey, I just downloaded the tonos and gave it a trial run. It seems to work pretty well. I just downloaded a song, it was complete with multiple instruments, took about 2-3 minutes on my DSL connection. The sound quality was not great but that might be the original recording or the compression technology they are using, I don't know which (or maybe its the fact that I listened to it on my computer speakers). Anyway, it allowed me to import a wav file, I suppose I could have uploaded it on the net but I didn't get that far. Pretty cool stuff for $29.95 per year. Free trial for 30 days.

O.K., blinddogblues, that's all I need to know. I'm relaying this info to my nephews and waiting to see what they think. I needed to give them some idea of what it would take and that tonos site has a neat audio/video 'tour' of the recording process. Thanks to all who replied to this. It's great to have kindred spirits and 'cousins' helping you out.
Brian

Back