group buy ribbon mics - ACM-3

Ironklad Audio

so...has anyone else here STILL not gotten a replacement ribbon for the ACM-3's they purchased 2 GB's ago?

just curious, because i e-mailed chance twice about this, and never received either a response or my ribbons, and was wondering if i was the only one left out in the rain on this one

How many do you need? I got an extra one from Chance I could probably send (need to find a little plastic box for it)

i only have one of the mics...so 1 should suffice - assuming i don't break the damn thing on my 1st go round, which is quite likely

I didn't get the ribbons or the Shock mount that I paid for. Oh well... at least I lucked out and got working pres

The last I heard (read) Chance was having some depression issues and eMailing was becoming too difficult. Feel bad for him... I think that was a few months ago so maybe he's doing better?

B.

so...has anyone else here STILL not gotten a replacement ribbon for the ACM-3's they purchased 2 GB's ago?

just curious, because i e-mailed chance twice about this, and never received either a response or my ribbons, and was wondering if i was the only one left out in the rain on this one

He still owes me four. (All of my ACM-2 and ACM-3 mics had badly stretched ribbons.)

I retensioned mine. That's certainly not ideal, but it makes the mics usable. Tore one in the process, but it had enough slack that I was still able to retension it.... :D

*I* didn't get any PMs (not that anyone intended to PM me :) ), but nevertheless, if you need a ribbon, PM me a mailing address, and I'll work on finding a suitable little plastic box - shouldn't be too hard.

Never got mine either.

All-around I feel like the group buys worked out alright; I've got so many more mics to handle different situations and have learned much from using different types (ribbon, tube, FET, etc).

I thought my ACM2 was useless due to serious sag but it works out because it helps reduce the presence on overly-bright amps.

As someone pointed out in a thread some years ago, never sell your mics; learn where they shine and they'll find their place.

*I* didn't get any PMs (not that anyone intended to PM me :) ), but nevertheless, if you need a ribbon, PM me a mailing address, and I'll work on finding a suitable little plastic box - shouldn't be too hard.

i didn't send you a PM because BK offered me up a replacement...but thanks for asking!

maybe we could set something up so that those who have extra ribbons can hook up those who got the shaft?

and let me say now, i'm sorry if my tone in this thread comes off as disparaging towards chance, but the entire GB ordeal has been pretty frustrating, and i didn't even drop $$ on any of the bunk preamps...

I got no ribbons either. I have written it off long ago. I'd say we are on our own as far as ribbons.

On the brighter side, I have learned more about ribbon mics by fixing them myself.

OK - good deal. My offer's still open for anyone else (but I just have one, really). Otherwise, I'll keep it for myself -- moo hahahahha!

BTW, I spent about three hours playing guitar through one of my ACMP-73s (basically straight into a monitor - no post processing) on Sunday -- *gorgeous* sounding and dead quiet, with or without the EQ engaged. You won't hear me complaining about those preamps.

Back