Group Buy ACMP81 Clips...........

drBill

Hi Guys,

For those with the red "no" syndrome, those awaiting FedX, and those just bored or in search of adventure:

By Popular Request:

a little ACMP81 shootout.....

The suspects:

ACMP81 & Pro Tools HD w/ 192 i/o.

There are 4 files of a tune I did called "Swamp Gas". heh heh All previously mixed and mastered. I'm going to wait to tell you who is who and what is what until some have had the chance to listen critically.

Best to dowload and drop into your DAW if possible, as there are sections where it becomes quite obvious (to me at least) which is which and being able to A/B back and forth is invaluable for these types of comparisons. So check it out all the way. Listen to the distortion on the high guitars, the bass, drums, etc.

I really wanted to hear what mixes would sound like through the LINE INPUTS, so these files were all recorded or bounced to disc from the Digi 192 analog i/o and/or through the ACMP81 with NO EQ - LINE LEVEL inputs. All were previously mastered and are 24bit / 44.1k. FYI, that's my good friend Mike Hamilton (http://www.mikehamiltonmusic.com/mikehamiltonmusic/Welcome.html) on Electric. I matched levels to within .1dB on the with a 1k tone before recording, so levels should be very, very close. One of files is a "control" file, bounced straight from BTD in PTHD3.

I think most of you will know what's what. Enjoy!!!! And, I suspect the value of ACMP81/84/73's is growing by the day........

Bill

Suspect #1
http://www.mindseyeprod.com/wpacmp81test/01SwampGas%a9WilliamPearson,BMI.wav

Suspect #2
http://www.mindseyeprod.com/wpacmp81test/02SwampGas%a9WilliamPearson,BMI.wav

Suspect #3
http://www.mindseyeprod.com/wpacmp81test/03SwampGas%a9WilliamPearson,BMI.wav

Suspect#4
http://www.mindseyeprod.com/wpacmp81test/04SwampGas%a9WilliamPearson,BMI.wav

i'm a little confused. so one of these 4 files is the mix through the 81 line inputs, one is straight bounce to disk, what are the other two?

One is a bounce to disc.
Another is a straight analog out to analog in on the 192 i/o.
A third is thru the ACMP at normal gain levels.
And the 4th is thru the ACMP at hot gain levels.

Not in that order.

Bill! You bastard!

You had to do this on election day! :)

I'm not going to have a chance to listen to the files until six bottles of champagne have been put away around 2:30am :p

Sorry to ask a dumb question -- it's just that I've... it's just that I've never actually... never actually seen an 81 :o (or touched or cherished): Did you use two of them? One for left and one for right?

nuemes........nuemes........nuemes?????

Are you awake yet??

Maybe you should have capped it off at 4 bottles....:D:D

Seriously though, I can't believe no one has commented on the ACMP's. After all the clamouring to hear them???

Oh well......

I would...

if I could - being deployed, my access won't let me download these files in less than, say, an hour. Here's some moral support for you in any case.

Jay

if I could - being deployed, my access won't let me download these files in less than, say, an hour. Here's some moral support for you in any case.

Jay

Jay, are you telling me we got money for guns and no money for broadband?!?!?!?!? :mad::mad:

You need to hack into those top secret T1 line's they got for all that spy $#@^!!!

:D:D

Get home quick to your ACMP's!!!!!

Hard to hear huge differences in my phones, but I like #3 the best, then probably #1, then #4, then #2. #3 seems to have a more rounded midrange, and just be a little meatier.

Again, I'm listening on some Samson headphones, and haven't had time to listen to the entire clip all the way through on any of them.

(I'm waiting on a pair of 1084s, I'll be curious to hear them on vocals, guitars, etc.)

I think 2 is the 81 at normal gain levels and 3 is the 81 at high gain levels.

I'm less sure of the other two, but I'll say 4 is straight to the 192 and 1 is the bounce.

Oh, yes, and I like what I think are the 81 tracks better, and the hi gain (#3) suits the song better than the low gain (#2).

But actually, I'm not sure of any of this, because you see... you see... I haven't... it's just that I haven't... actually seen an 81 in real life

I'm not at the studio, but I can say you're mostly wrong I think. :-)

I'll post the results tomorrow -

BTW. the 4 takes are (not in the correct order):

A internal bounce to disc
Analog out to analog in
Analog out to ACMP81 10:00/10:00 gain settings (normal)
Analog out to ACMP81 11:00/9:00 gain settings (high gain)

Exactly...

Jay, are you telling me we got money for guns and no money for broadband?!?!?!?!? :mad::mad:

You need to hack into those top secret T1 line's they got for all that spy $#@^!!!

:D:D

Get home quick to your ACMP's!!!!!

It is rather hilarious what we have been able to accomplish in the last 10 years information-wise, yet regular internet access for troops on their off time lags WAY behind where one would think it would be. On top of that, it's VERY expensive to have any kind of personal service....really a rip-off that provides a fairly poor service to boot.

Oh well, looking forward to getting home next Spring.

Jay

It is rather hilarious what we have been able to accomplish in the last 10 years information-wise, yet regular internet access for troops on their off time lags WAY behind where one would think it would be. On top of that, it's VERY expensive to have any kind of personal service....really a rip-off that provides a fairly poor service to boot.

Oh well, looking forward to getting home next Spring.

Jay
Those of us that are getting antsy waiting (in comfort and safety) for our gear need to empathize with what you are going through. Hang in there!

Thanks guys...

It's really an honor to serve. I just complain about small things from time to time, but in the end they are just that....small things.

Anyway - for the topic at hand - I'm really interested in everyone's opinion of the clips as I have two 81's on the way (as well as two 73's)....I'll have to work on the EQ board fixes once we get that ironed out as the reason I got the 81's was to use them for reamping 2-bus final mixes for that final N*v*ish touch of iron and EQ shaping.

Jay

Back