Groove Tubes GT44 Tube Microphone

Something like a 57 is going to have much less output. If you've got your signal chain set up the same as you do with a 57, then I'm afraid you need to back that gain off.

Wait, could the distortion be due to you blowing a bunch of air into it? That seems like a possibility. Are you using a pop filter?

chessrock, it sounds kind of like one of your 44s was bad, considering that you only have one other mic of the exact same model to compare it with.

Thanks for your responses. I'm getting very nice sounds at distances of 10-20 inches, so I think I'll keep the mic and just give it a little space. As far as I can tell I wasn't clipping at the pre-amp stage or later, so maybe I was just pushing a sensitive mic harder than I thought. Does anyone get to within a couple inches of a GT44 and get a sound they like, or do you tend to stay further away? No, I wasn't using a pop filter, but I've sometimes used a LDC without a pop filter (although usually with) and have never heard that degree of distortion, even right on top of it. I guess I just need to learn the mic. Thanks again.

...wish i could afford to blow $200 for a nice mic... its kind of funny that my 'nicest' (or most expensive) microphone is a kick mic (akg d112)... and im not even a drummer haha.

My signal chain: GT44 into M-Audio Omni I/O; no pads, input gain set at about 9:45 (maybe 3 out of 10?). Into a Delta 66 into Cubase VST/32 5.1 with the slider set for input level at ~-2dB. It's starting to sound really nice on both acoustic guitar (1964 Gibson B-25) and voice. I've just got to keep from treating the mic like a 57. Looking forward to trying it on a classical flutist I record periodically.

Back