Groove Tube GT66

lavoz

I just came back from checking out the new Groove Tube GT66 tube mic. I took my C-1 along to compare the two side by side.

- The GT66 was a lot hotter than the C-1 (I don't know if that's because its a tube mic, or not)
- The 66 has a much bigger, warmer bottom to it
- The C-1 seemed to be cleaner through the mids.
- Both mics seem about the same at the higher ends.
- The 66 look and felt well made and even with the pad switch moved over to 10db, the mic was still delivering a strong signal to the board.

An issue I had was with its lower frequnecy on my voice, maybe it was too much on the bottom end. Anyway, I asked to have an Rode NTK to A/B and the GT66 just was so much better sounding than the Rode. Both are offered at the same price...$500. However, I was little disturbed that the 66 had no manual in the box. Even on the web site there is no technical info on the mic. What's up with that! Will I buy one? Maybe, I'm in the market for a tube mic, but I still haven't made up my mind on this unit! I must admit, the C-1, for the price is a very good mic...the GT66 could be a good addition too! Just some random thoughts about a new mic.

lavoz

Back