Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet

rapedbyape

Does anyone know anything about Gretsch Electromatic guitars? As in, could you recommend them (specifically the Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet). I haven't had a chance to play one yet, but a guy in one of the music shops around here was badmouthing them (and Gretsch in general since Fender took over), although I don't know if that's just because the other guitar shop in town sells them and he doesn't. If anyone has one and it's a piece of crap/awesome, I'd like to know. Thankyouverymuch.

Not sure if this helps but I had a DuoJet. It sucked in plain English. No matter what type of strings I used the guitar was just dead. I ended up selling it.
I own a Gretsch Tennessean and would never get rid of it.

played one

hey i played one in a music store one time ! it was a nice guitar the fit and finish was good on it and the price was fair for what you get.
i am a fan of the Gretsch look any way and i like the sound as well.
what i would say is this..... DO NOT RUN THAT GUITAR THROUGH A SOLID STATE AMP! it needs the tube amp to make it sound right also my best guess would be to use heavy strings i am planing on buying something like one of these next year or so and use it with my band and i will be using flatwound strings..... should sound good that way.
bottom line is Gretsch is not for every body
some people will play only teles and strats or gibson guitars or ricks you have to decide what you like. is the guitar good for your style? does it look cool to you?
is the price what you want to pay? all this is something you need to decide for yourself. good luck.

Whoever was slagging Gretsch since Fender took over is a frickin' idiot. The reissues coming out now are head and shoulders above the pre-Fender stuff. I have a 2004 Anniversary that is positively awesome. Check out this site for all the Gretsch info you could ever want: www.gretschpages.com

I'm about to buy a electromatic pro jet from a local store going out of business (for ridiculously cheap). I've had my eyes on that guitar ever since they got it in. It plays beautifully, sounds great, and looks great too. I think it will definitely hold it's own with my american strat. I like them alot, but I can't really say much since I don't actually own one :) Play one first, I think you'll be happy.

Back