Gretsch critique.........

yiordanaki

Hey guys,

I am considering getting oine of those big hollow-bodied gretsch guitars for two reasons.

1. I love the look of them

2. I love the sound ive heard come out of them

does anyone here own one or used one and can recommend a goodun or give suggestions??

If you hate them please tell me why.

thanks

y

I owned a White Falcon in the early 70's
I guess that makes me an old guy , but I have a definite opinion . I bought it because I was overwhelmed by it's beauty and I was and still am a fan of Steve Stills , and loved the clean country with vibrato , with lots of tenths thingies that he was doing with Judy Collins at the time . That's where the love affair went bad , that's all I could do on that guitar , I tried playing dirty rock and blues with it and was dissappointed , and fusion stuff and sold it shortly afterwards . There have been a few times since then that I have regretted selling it , but overall I would reccomend you try to get the sounds out of it before you buy it .

Locus - hehe true.

Hockey punk - thanks for the input - yeh i was looking at the white falcon purely (at the moment) for its beauty.

i think ill go into some shops and play afew, but cos im real young the shop guys usually dont let me use the real expensive stuff..

for eg. i was accidentally practicing on a STEINWAY piano in a shop the other day (hundreds of thousands worth) and the attendant wasnt too happy.

hehe

y

I used to have a 1962 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. I regret VERY much parting with this guitar. I don't have any hands on with the new ones.

Back