Gretsch Corvette

DTBlalock

So I just bought a Gretsch Corvette G5135. Of course with the Bigsby. This is my first guitar to have a tremelo system and I had no idea there was the wedge of foam trick to restring it. I almost threw my brand new guitar across the room trying to string this guitar without the foam. I am having trouble keeping this guitar in tune. Is this a break in thing or are all guitars with a Bigsby like this? Should I have a brand new guitar set up already? Thanks!

It's easier if you just change one string at a time. Stretch your new strings out well. Bigsbys, like any other full-floating vibrato unit, don't stay in tune well unless used gently.

So I just bought a Gretsch Corvette G5135. Of course with the Bigsby. This is my first guitar to have a tremelo system and I had no idea there was the wedge of foam trick to restring it. I almost threw my brand new guitar across the room trying to string this guitar without the foam. I am having trouble keeping this guitar in tune. Is this a break in thing or are all guitars with a Bigsby like this? Should I have a brand new guitar set up already? Thanks!

The main thing about keeping a tremelo guitar in tune is to minimize sources of friction in the headstock, mainly in the nut, but string trees (if there) can be a problem, too. If there are metal string trees, replace them with graphite or rollers. If the nut is plastic, get it replaced with bone or graphite (NOT brass), and make sure that the slots are cut wide enough for the gauge of strings you are using. Lubricating the nut slots (I use a slurry of Teflon grease and graphite on my Strat) can help a lot, too.

Welcome to the world of floating bridges!

Back