Gretsch Catalina Club Kit

AndyK12

Hello,

I'm not a drummer but I'm looking for an opinion on this kit. Specifically, I want to get something that sounds very 'The Band' or Neil Young, vintage and lots of 'wood' sound. Is there any alternatives? I really like the look of this kit, not that it matters what the damn thing looks like.

I don't want to spend more then $800.

Thanks, in muchos ignorance,
Andy.

AndyK12 said:
Hello,

I'm not a drummer but I'm looking for an opinion on this kit. Specifically, I want to get something that sounds very 'The Band' or Neil Young, vintage and lots of 'wood' sound. Is there any alternatives? I really like the look of this kit, not that it matters what the damn thing looks like.

I don't want to spend more then $800.

Thanks, in muchos ignorance,
Andy.

you could get that kit on ebay and pick up some nice cymbals all for under 800.00 for sure...and they sound great!!

gretsch catalina

If you can come up with a bit more money, the renown maple kit is goin for 1399.00 I own that kit, and its twice what I thought it would be. Catalina would get by for jazz trio stuff or acoustic neil young,etc.

the renown has been out there for a while, and you might get a better deal. I got mine @ that price fromGC, but I had gig bags, stix, etc., thrown in.

clevodrummer

renown/catalina

I played a Catalina kit sitting in with a friend on a coffee house gig two nights ago.I was very impressed with the kit overall, and wouldnt hesitate buying this kit for what you are looking for.

I just started getting into miking my drums for recording, and there just seems to be unendless ways to get a sound out of basically any decent drumkit.

Naturally, the money is in the cymbals and hardware.Thats where the addiction kicks in. If you get the Catalina, do your best for freebies, especially gig bags. When I bought my renown kit from GC, I scored some gig bags and now I feel they are totally a must thing for drums,especially when you get a new kit. Plus you get a more professional attitude when you walk in with gig bags. Kinda like walkin into a pool hall with your pool stick in a case.

have fun.
clevodrummer

Back