Greg Ginn-And his head

post.aux.fader

I heard rumors that Black Flag guitarist Greg Ginn used an overdriven PA head to power his cabs. I know he used all solid-state distortion, (and hated tube amps) does anyone know if this is true, or anybody else who has done this?

If you haven't heard any of Ginn's work, get yourself a copy of Damaged and listen closley. Not everyone's gunna like this dude though.

post.aux.fader said:
I heard rumors that Black Flag guitarist Greg Ginn used an overdriven PA head to power his cabs. I know he used all solid-state distortion, (and hated tube amps) does anyone know if this is true, or anybody else who has done this?

If you haven't heard any of Ginn's work, get yourself a copy of Damaged and listen closley. Not everyone's gunna like this dude though.

Hated tube amps?

BlackFlag was dirt poor back in the day, so I don't know that it was as much 'hated' as was 'pretending to not like what you can't afford'. ;)

Outlaws said:
Hated tube amps?

BlackFlag was dirt poor back in the day, so I don't know that it was as much 'hated' as was 'pretending to not like what you can't afford'. ;)

for what it's worth, before he was in black flag greg ginn started a company called "solid state transformers", or SST, which is also the name of his record label. seems he was a fan of solid state technology. not that that means he "hated" tube amps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Nixon

cellardweller said:
I don't care what you say, you absolutely CAN NOT have a heavy metal weekend without a toob amp

well, greg ginn was a dead head in a punk band. i'm not sure what relevance heavy metal has.

His may have been an eclectic choice, but many have used solid state with success, including the late Dimebag Darrell.

cellardweller said:
gimme an 'A' for effort at least...

easy mistake seeing as how they shared singers. i'll give you a B+, but you can boost it to an A by going out to get circle jerks' "wonderful" and black flag's "first four years". good stuff.

Now wait a minute. I just left a thread where punk was being bashed.

Now you expect me to state my honest opinion that I really do like Circle Jerks, in front of my Metal Brothers?

I'll be stripped of my spiked wristbands...
All of my Grim Reaper albums will be destroyed...
Whatever shall i do?

post.aux.fader said:
Buy Damaged by black flag instead. There's guitar solos, Ginn's pretty sick.

yeah, but then you have to put up with henry rollins. "first four years" is rollins-free.

Not having heard any punk (except DK) now for ... what... 10 years, I think I'd lean towards Circle Jerks.

I just don't know how often I'd actually listen to it though.
I already have 200 cd's that I don't listen to!

what was that Rollins CD that had him reciting poetry..."family man" or something like that.... lolly lol :D

Back