green

she's a beaut, to be sure. you get kind of a different tone with a guitar like that, though... could be a bit of a switch from a strat. don't know what kind of music you play...

well my dad is a strat guy and so he bought me the strat. Its a nice strat, but sometimes it attacks too much. I like a lot of post punk like joy division and david bowie...radiohead too.

I love Gretch guitars ... but make sure that it has the sound you want. Personally I would choose the Gretch on the other hand the Strat would be the axe to have if you could have only one axe ... and I'm not a Strat fan. I am practicle though.

Henry Mars said:
I love Gretch guitars ... but make sure that it has the sound you want. Personally I would choose the Gretch on the other hand the Strat would be the axe to have if you could have only one axe ... and I'm not a Strat fan. I am practicle though.
I would second that, the bigsby whammy bars can be an absolute pain in the butt. But Grestch always had a good sound, Chet Atkins and George Harrison did OK with them for a long time.
But a Strat is versatile. To quote Jeff Beck "If I can't get what I want from a Strat. I probably can't get it at all" unquote. From a GP interview.

You're pry not gonna get the twang like you would from a strat, but they're great guitars I would take one in a heartbeat

freshmattyp said:
I have that very same guitar. FYI - Don't get it from Musican's Friend. Try here - http://www.shanghai-guitars.com - ask for Joel. I got mine a couple of years ago for $1350 shipped.

Here's another good resource for all things Gretsch: www.gretschpages.com

thanks fresh. the guy at guitar center made it out to seem as though if i didnt buy, i would miss out because it was an anniversary addittion and they only had one. I like the twang on the start, but the gretsch had a certain twang to it too. I also like the hollowbody effect.

rightbrainnow said:
thanks fresh. the guy at guitar center made it out to seem as though if i didnt buy, i would miss out because it was an anniversary addittion and they only had one. I like the twang on the start, but the gretsch had a certain twang to it too. I also like the hollowbody effect.

That's funny, they've been making the "Anniversary" model since 1958. Frickin' GC!

They may not be the most versatile guitars ever, but they do their thing better than any other guitar.

I may be willing to part with mine to fund another purchase. PM me if you're interested.

Back