Green Light (kinda alt rock tune)

CMolena

Hello there!

I've been gone for a while so I guess I'd post this song I recorded by myself to see what you guys think about it.

Here are the recording setup I used.

Drums: 2 mics
Mono OH - MXL V67; Kick Drum - AKG D112

Guitars: Shure SM57

Vocals: MXL V67

Bass: Shure SM57 and direct signal from the amp.

I mixed and mastered it on apple earbudds, I guess they are a little bass heavy, but I like the way this thing makes me mix. When I put the mix on my speakers and in my car, it sounds almost exactly like it.

Thanks in advace for any info.

https://soundcloud.com/caio-molena/caio-molena-green-light

Guitar is nice and bright, right out of the gate, but then it's like you threw a blanket over everything when the rest hit...
Vocals are a bit low. Other than that I can hear everything well. You might try pushing some top end on the drums to give them a bit more life 10k shelf, maybe?
Great performance! :)

---------- Update ----------

Dang, that's a catchy tune.

I like the song. Performance is tight. Vocals a little lacking in energy, not that I'm one to talk. Drums have a nice live feel, hearing a lot of hat but it works for this song. My major complaint apart from the sleepy vocal would be the lack of variation in those rhythm guitars. They're pretty much doing the same thing throughout the song. Not much change in groove or energy level between the sections. Tone is good though. Good job.

Thanks guys from the comments, they are really helpful.

I'm afraid to add high end to the drums...because the hit hat already sound really loud and I cant lower them because I used only one mic to capture most of the kit.

Thanks Robus, I really spent some time trying to get the best performance I could. The guitars I really tried to come up with something different, but I ended up prefering to repeat everything. Maybe I will record it again with a different arrangement!

Not bad for buds. But the guitars sound like mush. Here you have the drums all crisp, snd then guitars with very little definition.

The vocal could have a bit more energy. I'm getting the idea that the singer is really bored.

I think with some mix and production changes this could be a great tune.

As to the guitars, look up on the tube, Chris Lord Alge / greenday blvd broken dreams. He has the mix up in his studio.

I'm not a fan of the band, but when you listen to his mix, you'll see how much definition he got in the guitar parts.

Last edited:
The intro guitars are quite a bit different in sound so they will change the overall sound. Hmmm, if it were me I would add a second guitar with some dirt (low volume) to make the transition a little less apparent. Or, just do the intro with the same distorted guitar.
The hihat is louder than the snare in spots - I would try on the next song to position the mic slightly on the other side of the kit and maybe it will pick up less hihat and more snare. Cymbal balance may be impacted. Drums still sound great - especially with only 2 mics.
The balance is good - nothing else is out of place for me on the mix.

I like the fuzzy guitars. The high hat seems a little dull though, maybe it wouldn't hurt to give it a little air? (Hope I got the right drum piece there heh. . .) Everything seems well balanced to me. Really like the song too, vocals are really nice.

Back